Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

The ATV own player can view P8 Dovi mp4 on tvOS17. Of course that requires a Mac to share those videos and is limited to mp4(lpcm audio). It could be useful for testing purposes.

I use windows. No chances?

Sorry, I wrongly assumed “home sharing” is supported on Mac only, please read & try steps in Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support (IS). Idk how it would work on Win, but on MacOS, I drop a DV8 in the “TV” app, then the video shows up under “computers->your shared Library” in ATV & plays in Dovi.

This isn’t ideal and I use it mostly for testing & ruling out any 3rd party software issues, it requires the serving computer to be on.

On Pc does not work, Will wait for Infuse update.

This is the only script that made Doctor Sleep Trigger DV on my ATV using option 4 -2. Sweet!

1 Like

Sorry, my question about any progress relates to full native DV8 in Infuse on TVOS17.

Nothing to do with YTS videos.

Sorry if this question is in the wrong thread, but this is the thread that it links to in the ‘Upcoming Features’ for future releases - relating to native DV8 support

In the same linked thread, native DV8 support shows up as “researching” for 7.6.x

I have 2 movies identified by InFuse as 4K DV. Both movies play on the ATV 4K, you can heard the audio but there no video. This movies don’t show video on InFuse for ATV 4K, iOS and iPadOS, but they play fine on InFuse Mac. How can i check the profile version on the DV they are? And is there any way to playback those movies on my ATV 4K?

Thanks.

Run them through a program called mediainfo.

That will depend on what mediainfo says. :wink:

1 Like

To add to what @NC_Bullseye mentioned, are those files by any chance from a release group called YTS?

With iPadOS 17.0.3, my iPad Pro 2017 is able to play p8.1 dvh1 mp4 as Dolby Vision through QuickTime. hvc1 won’t play as DV though, in case anyone want to know.

I started using Nekno’s Mac program DV7 to DV8 and I’m wondering if this degrades the overall image? I’ve seen some people say DV looks desaturated – I’m hoping to get some opinions on here before I go full on ripping and then converting all my stuff.

If I get ultimately better image quality with HDR10 then I’ll just stick with that.

Just for context I’m playing this on an LG C2. Thanks everyone!

Can you share a link to this program ?

This tool is great but the best tool is : GitHub - R3S3t9999/DoVi_Scripts: User-friendly / drag & drop scripts to process any HDR / Dolby Vision files and more...

Unfortunately is only available on windows

It runs ok in VMs, though I haven’t used it much & some of the workflows/features require a GPU. For basic BD UHD DV7 to DV8, it’s basically few commands or use nekno’s script (MacOS) or speedy’s script (Win).

Well, as with most things of any complexity, “it depends”.

Generally speaking, there’s no degradation or limited degradation in quality, because we’re talking about files that can be played in Infuse or on an Apple platform in general, where only DV5 or DV8 can be played back.

All the scripts/apps that convert DV7 to DV8 use dovi_tool to perform the actual conversion these days, so they all have the same effect on quality.

What speedy’s script and my app are doing removes some newer DV data (v4 data, leaving v2.9) that may help some newer TVs render a more accurate picture, but is a step that’s been needed for Infuse to play back the files at all. That was true in tvOS 15 & 16; we’re waiting to see if it holds true with Infuse in tvOS 17, since the built-in player from Apple now plays DV8 natively.

For that reason, you may want to hold off converting a whole collection now. We could have an answer in the coming weeks.

For the time being, these methods are the only way to get DV8 working in Infuse.

The one case where you can get higher quality is when you have a UHD BD (which uses DV7) with a Full Enhancement Layer (FEL), since that contains more data that can enhance picture quality. That requires you play back the disc or folder structure on a UHD BD player, so you are effectively dropping that information no matter how you play back the file on an Apple TV…

As to whether you prefer DV or HDR10, that’s really more personal preference. In theory, many of us are going for DV because it’s more accurate, because it’s capable of applying data scene by scene, rather than for a whole film/show. Regardless, nothing the scripts/apps do should be “making it look” one way or another, it’s just a matter of whether DV metadata is applied or not. If it’s applied, then it’s a matter of how the Apple TV, and your display, and your calibration settings, etc, all handle DV.

5 Likes

DV7 has two types - FEL and MEL. for MEL, DV7 to DV8 normally has no loss. However, for FEL, DV7 to DV8 will ignore EL which can lead to problem, especially when EL is expanding brightness.

Thanks for the response. I’ll rip them as normal now, and maybe will to the DV conversion down the road.

Hi, it seems that CMv4 is becoming more and more present and it is only read in HDR by Infuse, do we know if this limit comes from Apple or Infuse ?