Then the upload / download processes would need to be made to pause and resume next chance it gets (rather than as a whole) if you want a flexible background processing system for iOS.
Anyway, after testing it out - this data backup and restore is amazing and quick af. Love it! Once you remove the prompts, users will never have to know if this happens in background or the foreground (aside from a loading screen ofc).
Finally got the Beta going, first time I used Testflight on ATV, turn out you need to be a bit patient…
Backup was quick, about 10sec to store, and restore about the same time.
Full rescan of artwork in a few minutes.
Super, so I can start browsing within 10 sec after a cleared cache, without artwork though, but that’s fine as they load as you browse.
When you launch after a cleared cache I suggest the “Restore from backup” to be the first or preselected choice.
I also suggest to an indicator to show status of backup. Green if you have a backup less than one day, or red if you no backup or a very old backup. Either on main screen or on the backup button in settings.
I tried the new beta, works great but you can improve the feedback.
Did full Scan
Did backup now
10sec for 540 films and 1400 episodes
No warning or request to load from backup
Did Restore from backup
Warning screen: Restoring backup
Text says something like this, ”somerhing went wrong…”
After about 10-15 sec we are done.
All entries are there, I can navigate and start playing.
Can I suggest to rephrase the warning text?
I interpret it as something went wrong during the restoring of the backup. My reaction was “Oh no, doesn’t work!” Instead of “phu, saved! Good job taking care of me.”
Perhaps your message should be something like “Oops! It seems your metadata has been cleared. Don’t worry, we have you covered, restoring from backup. Ready in the flashes of flashes…”
Why didn’t the app suggest to restore from backup automatically when I started after clearing the cache? Was it because I did a manual cache-clearing?
Using the ‘clear all metadata’ option in Settings would give a different result, as this is used when you feel a large portion of the metadata is wrong, outdated, or you just want to rescan everything for another reason.
The restore from cloud backup process is triggered under certain conditions. Either when the database has been removed by the system (due to the device being low on space) or the database has some other kind of error which makes the library unusable (very rare).
Just posting to say me too! I’ve been seeing this metadata issue more and more regularly recently. I only have small library of titles to watch on an SMB share. Really great to see that a solution is due to be released in the next version.
I guess Aerial screensavers is the cause, other than a handful of streaming apps I have very little else using local storage. Apple really need to provide better options for managing the space used by screensavers.
I just checked my usage. Settings > General > Manage Storage shows apps are using a total of 448.8 MB. Infuse has the biggest usage at 127 MB.
Third-party app TV Info shows that 25.66 GB is in use, with 3.96 GB (13.4%) free. Presumably Apple are prioritising storage allocation for their apps which is not disclosed or available for user management.
I agree with @james , this issue is about cache-clearing problem, so don’t add scope creep, start a new thread.
Since I started to use the Beta with the upcoming backup solution my problem stopped.
It also seems like backups are being made in the background, i.e. last backup time are sometimes during a time I haven’t been home and using the system.
I’m happy that you listened to our advice on how to solve this.
I’m less happy with the lack of communication and openness around solving this problem. Do not underestimate the power of communication, by ghosting the community we get the impression you are not addressing the issue.
For the future I hope you will be more detailed in your planned actions and report progress, that build trust, trust builds loyalty.
I hope we can close this thread soon, so you can move on to properly support custom nfo/xml for movies, collections and shows so we can consume all our media in the same convenient way.