Dolby Vision mp4 vs mkv, which to choose?

Hello friends, in light of the recent great news of Dolby Vision profile 5 in mkv being supported in Infuse.

I was wondering what should I choose in future to playback Dolby Vision files is it mp4 or mkv ? This is for Apple TV 4K 5th Gen not the latest one!

Whatever you want. I use MKV because I use plex as my backend also have an nvidia shield pro which does not like Dolby vision in an MP4 container.

ok cheers, can u pls advice what’s the best format if I only use Infuse Pro version with Apple TV 4k (5th gen) for Dolby Vision movies? I never used plex or nvidia shield pro and don’t plan to!

i just wanted to know what the original format of Dolby Vision is and which is remade into another format? is it mp4 original and mkv is for compatibility? or vice versa. Thanks :smiley:

It really depends on where you are getting this. mp4 vs mkv do a lot of the same things and can hold same content in many cases but not every case. If you are ripping UHD Blu-ray’s then there is no way to play Dolby vision from them on Apple TV even if it is in mkv or mp4. The source is the disk and you can rip it to an iso (disk image) which is a copy of the entire disk but that often is more than most people need so they rip what they want to an mkv, for instance. If you are downloading your content then who knows what you are getting and which would be better. I think there could be a limitation on lossless atmos with mp4 (not that you can play on Apple TV anyways)

1 Like

I don’t have 4K yet, but I am curious as to why no DV from UHD blu ray rips?

Because the Apple TV hardware doesn’t support dual layer Dolby vision (and no there isn’t a way to properly do a 1:1 conversion to single layer… there’s other topics here on the whole thing).

If you want dual layer support you’re either going to be playing full ISO or a remux through a compatible player such as one made by Oppo or the DuneHD.

2 Likes

But Infuse says you can now play Dolby Vision Profile 5 in MKV what does that mean? Shouldn’t that be not possible if what you said is right?

Dolby vision profile 5 is single layer and is the profile used by services such as apple, Netflix and HBOMax. Blurays are dual layer and use Dolby vision profile 7.

1 Like

ok… So are the Dolby vision files used Apple, Netflix etc encoded in mp4 right?

They’re encoded with h265 and put into an mp4 container. MP4 and MKV are just containers. Online services package their content into an MP4 container. MKV is used when you need multiple audio tracks or soft subs added. Think backpack vs shopping bag.

1 Like

Or Plex, allegedly…

thank you this is what I was looking for. An explanation of the differences between them.

Plex just grabs the HDR10 track and tells the AppleTV to switch to dolbyvision mode. You get regular HDR10 with a DV upmix.

Ergo the allegedly…

Though personally I’m finding navigation via scrubbing etc a far better experience with the mkv containers.
But that may purely be a personal thing with my media being in the cloud.
Either way going slightly off topic, Infuse, AirPods with Spatial Audio and profile 5 in mkv means I will probably never turn on my Shield again.

Anyone can help me out here?

Got a couple of Dolby Vision & HDR MKV (no BD Remux/ISOs). Dolby Vision is Profile 5. However, playing these files with Infuse leads to HDR playback.

Playing the same file with PLEX results in DoVi playback.

Any idea why that is?

Can Infuse handle MKV with Dolby Vision (Profile 5) AND HDR10 at all?

Is PLEX really outputting Dolby Vision or just the „fake dolby vision“ as it does with profile 7? (I understand this questions might be borderline relevant in the Infuse community :wink:)

Thanks for helpful answers and advice!

Post the media info. There were some Dolby vision test files that had a second HDR10 track that would refuse to play because they were non compliant.

2 Likes

MediaInfo:

Summary

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 22.4 Mb/s
Writing application : mkvmerge v13.0.0 (‘Sharing is Caring’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.1.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 54 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2

Is this actually DoVi Profile 5? I am not sure any longer.

Appreciate your help! Thanks man!

Nope that’s profile 8
It’s whatever it says after dvhe.

But either way as @JarvisMeier says not all profile 5 will play DV of late.
Various groups are testing stuff out to get maximum compatibility with more clients.Sadly that means that even a profile 5 with a compatibility track will not trigger DV on the ATV.

1 Like

Thanks @Hitsville.

It might be a long shot, but I am gonna keep the file and hope that Infuse will add support for Profile 8 some day.

It‘s currently pending for version 7.x from what I see on the upcoming features thread.

We‘ll see… :slight_smile:

1 Like