Very slow playback resuming on Mac

Hello, I’m using Infuse very frequently on a MacBook Air M2 and I’ve been getting a serious problem: After playing some video in Infuse for a period of time, let’s say 2 hours, when I pause and resume it, it suddenly takes a very long time to play again (~20 second). Moreover if I restart Infuse, the problem is still there, but if I log out or restart the Mac, the problem disappears. But then after playing video for 2 more hours, it happens again. This annoys me very much and I’m not sure anyone else has got the sample problem. Please help me to fix it, thank you!

2 Likes

Where are you streaming from, a local video on that mac or from a local network server, or from a cloud service?

I’m streaming from 2 sources only: local SSD in that Mac and 2 other external portable SSDs (Sandisk brand) - which are connected to that Mac all the time.

Maybe the external drives are going to sleep? Or maybe your computer is? Are you using SMB?

this is something I’ve been reporting over and over again, somehow the devs aren’t able to fix that, this happens only on the Mac version, the iOS/iPadOS versions are free from this defect… we’re getting the spinning rainbow cursor for several seconds like the app is stuck. The problem is only related to the Mac version, comes and goes depending on Infuse version… it’s not the disks in NAS (as it doesn’t happen on iOS). The app is great, but this is very disappointing.

No, it’s only Mac App related, VLC has no issues in this regard, the iOS Infuse app doesn’t exhibit the same behavior at all.

Not sure what do you mean by going to sleep, but I don’t think it’s related to my problem anyway. And I’m streaming directly from SSDs only, not using any network, cloud, server or whatever.

1 Like

Thanks bro you say my thought well :slight_smile:
Hope devs can find some root cause soon and fix this annoying problem.

1 Like

Just curious, is this only happening when on battery only? Does having the battery charger connected while playing make any difference?

Always, for me at least, doesn’t matter the power source :wink:

I’m trying to duplicate this and not having much luck. How long are you watching before you see this delay in pause / restart occur?

Also, you both may want to try the update to 7.6.1 since it did have fixes for some other playback issues. No guarantees but it’s worth a shot.

Updating on the problem: Having upgraded to Mac OS Sonoma and newest version of Infuse, the problem still happens but maybe after a longer period of playback. Now I carefully counted the interval between 2 back-to-back occasions it happened: roughly 8.5 hours. And it happened whether my Mac was on battery or not.
Btw I recorded my screen when it happened, you may want to see it: Infuse stuck.mov - Google Drive

The same problem. So sad.

You may get a better response if you elaborate on what Mac, what source, what version of Infuse etc.

It’s been over 3 months since the last post so many things have changed.

Thanks.

1. Mac → M1 Pro, macOS 13.6.2
  2. All of them: a local video on that mac or from a local network server, or from a cloud service;
  3. Infuse version: 7.6.5 (7.6.4656), (rb5abdc3bbe557a1560a206c9660d056cd09e4ff2);
  4. The problems I encountered during use were exactly the same as those described by that friend, including all his supplementary explanations;
  5. Apart from restarting the computer, I have tried other methods, including but not limited to: removing all webdavs (some feedback from the App Store suggests it may be related to this), removing network cloud drives, and clearing metadata.
    After repeating the above operation and killing the infuse process, restart it several times. Sometimes (I don’t know which processing step is related), this problem disappears, and the movie can play normally, or it can pause and resume playing immediately.
    However, as mentioned above, soon (in my case, no more than an hour) this problem will occur again: playing/pausing the application will get stuck for a few seconds to tens of seconds, and pulling the progress bar will get stuck for a few seconds to tens of seconds.
    Infuse on TV is perfect, but this issue on Mac has been bothering me for almost half a year. Could you please locate the bug and handle it? Thank you.
1 Like