Help get 24p on Apple TV (Update: Now Available!)

[quote=jrmec.49364][/quote]

Amazing! Thanks for the pictures!

Ok - I also see NO resolution switching. I thought I have a problem with HDMI cable and/or AV receiver/display combination.

thanks,
alex

Some more technical info in this new feature and how developers can implement in their apps: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/503/

So if I buy an ATV 4k and set the resolution to 1080p24 and play my bluray-rips, it will play smoothly on my Epson eh-tw6700? Is it only the autorefresh that does not work with infuse?

/Christer

Absolutely. But 1080p24 is only selectable in tvOS 11.2 beta at the moment.
So either wait for the release version of tvOS 11.2 (very probably before the end of the year) or you can sign up to Apple’s public beta program and use tvOS 11.2 beta right now.

I understand Infuse’s auto-switching frame rate and dynamic range will be implemented by the time tvOS 11.2 is released.

1 Like

Thank you

I have a question:
It’s a little bit off-Topic, but I need some help ??

Can someone try out if the Framerate-Switch is still working with YouTube?
I don’t know why, but since today YouTube not switch the Framerate anymore…!

I use the setting 1080p 50Hz, and yesterday the AppleTV switch the Framerate (for example to 60 Hz) automatically… But now this is not working anymore ?

Netflix, Vimeo etc is working without Problems!

I have a Samsung TV. The Manual says “When you connect the TV to the external device that supports only UHD 24 or 30 Hz frequency or any FHD frequency, the HDMI UHD Color function may not be available. In this case, set HDMI UHD Color to off”. Question: If I set Apple TV 4K to 24 Hz SDR, should I set HDMI UHD color off on my TV?

HDMI UHD Color is in the Picture menu of Samung TVs and you can select individually for each HDMI connector.

That probably has to do with the bitrate going rhrough HDMi.
Apple TV 4K supports the highest HDMI 2.0 bitrate. So as long as s you have a HDMI 2.0 cable (about 5 USD/EUR on Amazon) you’ll be able to use the best your TV has to offer :slight_smile:

Now that the ATV 4K supports 24p, will there be any improvements to the way Infuse handles 24p?

Read post #1 from James in this thread! :slight_smile:

My bad, hadn’t seen that post before.

Great update but is it meant to be switching between HDR and DV depending on the content or does it just stay on DV?

1 Like

If you’re talking about Infuse on the Apple TV there is no automatic switching yet. I assume it comes with the next beta.
If you’re talking about tvOS 11.2 beta, it switches to whatever content you feed it but only in apps that use the built in player. (DV, HDR-10, framerate)

Ah! Cheers. I got ahead of myself.

@james
Could you keep this post alive? I’m going to reiterate on this one because dynamic switching is needed for aTV4 as well.
Maybe you could add that as as update for people who have aTV4 and want / need it. Cheers!

UPDATE:
I submitted bug
No dynamic refresh rate switching on Apple TV 4

It seems “Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching” is not possible on the older AppleTV 4 Hardware… :frowning:
It’s for Apple TV 4K only…

1 Like

Well, that’s why us with a regular Apple Tv 4 also want it…

Since it’s possible to switch frame rate manually on it, I can’t imagine it’s impossible to do it with software.

It was already explained before, the chip set inside the ATV4 isn’t capable of 24p and/or frame rate adjustment, Apple already confirmed this, so it’s not coming. They designed the chip for the 4K ATV with this specifically in mind.

Yes I know this. I don’t need 24p, I just need to be able to auto switch between 50hz and 60hz. Which can be done manually on the old apple TV 4, so why can’t it switch programmatically? Obviously the chip CAN switch.

I just have a feeling it absolutely can be done but they want us to buy the new one…