Help get 24p on Apple TV (Update: Now Available!)

Unfortunately the ATV4 is limited in other areas as well, as it’s essentially an iPhone 6 inside (which is now 3+ years old). Specifically, the A8 chip featured inside does not have hardware support for HEVC, which means you won’t be playing 4K or anything with bitrates above 20mbps.

Used ATV4s on eBay are fetching around $100-110, and new Apple TV 4Ks can be had for about $160 - so this may actually be a good time to jump to the new model.

1 Like

I already have an ATV4. I don’t need 4K since I don’t have a 4K tv, and I don’t really need 24p because my TV takes care of pulldown, but I would REALLY like automatic frame rate switching between 50hz and 60hz since I’m in Europe. And since I can switch between those frame rates manually (and often do several times per night), I don’t see why tvOS can’t switch it for me when it needs to. Regardless of the chip inside. Therefore it seems like Apple is nerfing the ATV4 on purpose to get people to buy the new set.

Maybe you should ask Apple for it?

I actually have, but it would probably help if more requested it.

Infuse 5.6.2 includes automatic frame rate and dynamic range switching on tvOS 11.2! :smiley:

3 Likes

excellent, I just discovered it and it works for me well. Good job!

You out-rivaled your competitor(s) by far :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

@James:

Could you please confirm that infuse will support 1080p@24Hz on Apple TV 4K?

Hi.
I am not James but I can confirm that 1080p24Hz already works on Apple TV 4K, including with Infuse.
Plus, once tvOS 11.2 is out, Infuse will have the Apple TV 4K automatically switch to 24p, 50p or 60p according to the media being played.
(it already works with tvOS 11.2 beta)

Attached is a screenshot of my Apple TV 4K’s video settings when set at 1080p24.

Thanks. That’s what I was hoping for!

So, tvOS 11.2 isn’t out yet right? Are you guys all using the beta?

Just released!

Literally as we were speaking! :slight_smile:

Works great. Thank you.

Hello,
You can confirm that 23.976 is fully supported by the ATV 4K ?

Yes it is (although labeled as 24Hz).
Both 2160p24 and 1080p24 work, each in HDR and SDR.
And the switch between 60p/50p/24p, as well as between HDR and SDR can be automatic for most apps included Infuse.

Thank you :wink:

Done ! Just incredible it works great !..always buffering on 4K files but pretty good on 1080p. Thanks a lot !

Works perfectly!!! I have one question regarding Plex media server. Will it work also if I activate this and us the Plex media server in infuse?

Any buffering is more likely due to your own network rather than the app.

Well well well,
When you have 4 differents players and 3 work perfectly with 4K files on ethernet network, and you have only a problem with ATV 4K, of course the problem is ??? the network ! tiresome to read this kind of post !!!