Connection/streaming/updating problems across all devices with SMB Share

I created this thread because I couldn’t find a solution for my problem. It seems some user have similar problems but not quite the same.

For a few months now I’ve had the problem that Infuse’s access to my SMB share on a Synology NAS hardly works anymore. I have an AppleTV 4K, a Macbook Pro M1 Pro and an iPad Pro 2021. I use Infuse on the AppleTV the most. Unfortunately, that’s where it works worst. When I start infuse I can never play anything directly or update the library. Removing the app from the Appswitcher doesn’t help either. Only when I restart the AppleTV (sometimes several times) I get a connection from Infuse to the SMB Share.

This is extremely annoying, and I hardly feel like using infuse anymore because it always takes a long time until it can be used.

I have already deleted and re-added the SMB share several times. That didn’t help.

Does anyone have an idea why this could be? Is it my AppleTV, my NAS or what? Are there any settings on the NAS that I can change so that it works reliably again?

I hope someone can help me :slight_smile:
The Text is in German, it says: Indexing of DS416PLAY (SMB) failed

Do you have your NAS set to sleep after a period of time?

Also, after you get that message, have you tried clicking on “scan for changes” and see if it succeeds after that?

What version number of infuse and also what OS versions?

No there’s no sleep. The NAS Stays on the whole day.

Yes I did. doesnt help at all. I get the same message.

The newest Version on every device. Newest tvOS, newest Infuse version.

Did you check the hibernation schedule on the NAS?

Could you try it a few times in a row and see if that makes a difference?

With all of the recent updates for both Infuse and Apple numbers would help to make sure we’re accurate also what OS on the Synology NAS.

Did you check the hibernation schedule on the NAS?

Yes. I have configured the settings so that the NAS stays on permanently when it is turned on. And at 2am it turns off. I can access it immediately with any other device.

Could you try it a few times in a row and see if that makes a difference?

I’ve done this many times out of frustration, but it doesn’t help :grin:
For some reason it loses connection or cannot establish one at all. The only thing that helps is to restart the AppleTV properly or unplug it completely.

With all of the recent updates for both Infuse and Apple numbers would help to make sure we’re accurate also what OS on the Synology NAS.

tvOS 17.2
Infuse 7.6.5
Synology DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6

But I’ve had this problem for at least 6 months if not longer. I doubt that it is due to an update or that a device is not on the latest version.

Okay, two things, first have you assigned your NAS a static IP on your net and second, in the SMB settings are you using the NAS network name or the IP?

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

I have assigned a static IP and in the SMB settings in Infuse it uses the network name.
It was always like this. I tested IP instead Name in the past but that didn’t help.

Something we’ve seen in the past is that when the nas goes to sleep the router doesn’t know it and when the nas try to talk again the router assigns it the network name followed by a number like DS416Play.local-1 and then it cant be found by Infuse with the -1 .

I assigned my NAS a static IP number like 192.168.1.999 so it would always get the same number from the router so the network name doesn’t come into play.

Ok but I also have a static IP.
Or do you mean I should use the IP in Infuse instead of the Name?

It happened again. I was able to get a connection 5 Minutes ago by restarting the appleTV. I could update the Infuse library and was able to play videos. Then I closed infuse, removed it from the app switcher and restarted the app. Now indication fails again :frowning:

Yes, I’d use the static IP address for the settings in Infuse.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by "removed it from the app switcher ".

It always like this. I get “als nächstes liste abrufen” which means “Get next list” or something and then the failed to indicate message.

Yes, I’d use the static IP address for the settings in Infuse.

I can do that, but I already tried it a couple of weeks ago.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by "removed it from the app switcher ".

I mean the app switcher like on the iPhone, where you can remove apps that are active in the Background.

So you’re quitting the app. If you don’t do that does it work like it’s supposed to?

Yes that’s what I meant. But I normally don’t do this.

Most of the time it already fails when I leave the app to just watch a YouTube Video for a couple of minutes a than go back to infuse.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection on the Apple TV?

If using Wi-Fi, the Apple TV will switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands, and it’s possible (due to network/router settings) one band may be working while the other does not. This would explain why it works sometimes but not others.

One thing you can try is to create individual wireless networks for each band on your router, and then connect to each to see if one or the other works.

I am using a wireless connection.

One thing you can try is to create individual wireless networks for each band on your router, and then connect to each to see if one or the other works.

That’s already my setup. I have one wifi for 5Ghz and another one for 2,4GHz. Which one I use makes no difference. I tried a wired connection via LAN too.

I found the solution. The day after I startet this thread I deleted the SMB share in infuse and used a nfs share instead. Since then it has always worked. The problem ist completely gone and infuse works as it should :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.