USB-C on New iPads and Infuse

Wondering if Infuse will be able to read a USB-C Flash Drive plugged into one of the new iPads…

From what I’m reading - No. it’s for external devices such as cameras, midi devices, and external displays. It may work for special storage devices designed specifically for use with iOS (like the current lightning ones) but not generic off the shelf drives.

It’s likely USB-C devices will have the same requirements as Lightning devices. IE Devices like iXpand which are part of the MFi program will be supported, but generic USB drives will not.

I’m holding out hope. So far we’ve only seen what Apple has shown and I have been waiting for someone to do an article about the new USB-C connector. Are you getting your info from internal spec specifics about the new iPad or is it just speculation?

If there was external storage support it would be listed/accessible in the iOS SDK.

Thanks for the clarification Jarvis. It’s sad. So we are back to earlier in this discussion. Do you think there could be a similar “special case” arrangement like there is with the SanDisk Xpand and Infuse?

Only if the device is MFI approved by Apple. The Sandisk Xpand is MFI certified. You’d probably have better luck petitioning sandisk to extend their Xpand program to other devices.

Had a bright idea and tried the current iXpand drive with an Apple USB-C to USB-A adaptor. Didn’t work so I guess the lightning connetor is the only snactioned connector of the two.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.