Purchased Jailbroken Apple TV, then updated apple TV, now I have the rapid blinking light of death

I have been searching long, and I have not seen anybody with an exact problem as mine, only related posts.  I purchased a jailborken apple TV off an internet sight, and I never synced it to my Itunes so I do not have the ability to do a system restore through my Itunes.  I took this frieking thing out of the box and hooked up it to the TV.  After wanting Hulu, because Hulu was not on the version I got, I decided that I would update it because the jailbroke version didn’t impress me much.  I updated it, and poof, cya later.  I get the rapid blinking light of death.  When I hook it up to the TV I’ll get the ICON, and that’s it.  I don’t think I can do a tethered boot because it doesn’t show up in Itunes.  My computer recongnized an apple micro USB chord when I put it into the port, but that’s about it.

Any advise or suggestions other then I’m F’d would be helpful.  Like I said, I’ve seen other cases that are similar, but none like this where restoring, and tethering, seem to be off the table.

Thanks

How did you try and update it?   Trying to update a jailbroken ATV via the Settings menu on the ATV itself will always fail.

The correct way to do it it is to put the ATV into DFU mode as if you were doing a jailbreak and then simply do a restore in iTunes.  The fact it was never previously connected to iTunes is not relevant.  iTunes will download the latest firmware for you and after the restore you will be in the same stae as a new ATV.  Note that this is the 5.3 firmware, and the only jailbreak for that (if you later want it) is a tethered jailbreak.

The only problem I could see would be if iTunes did not recognize the ATV for some reason.

Thanks for your post.  But yes that is one of the problems, Itunes does not detect the device.  And, it’s strange because my PC does.  When I plug it into the the PC through the USB it will say APPLE device deteced, but Itunes hasn’t a clue nor does it recongize it.  I tried updating Itunes, tried everything, nothing.  My take it to an Apple store or use it for the fireplace.

I tried seeing if I could go into the device through my PC but I just have no idea how to program this thing.