Plex Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Hello, I use Infuse with the Plex library.
I have just changed internet operator and now when I want to play video media with Infuse, I have this error message (see screen). I didn’t have it before changing operator
If I use my file sharing (Macos Monterey), there, with Infuse I have no worries.
If I watch my media, directly with Plex, no errors

Just made an account to reply with my solution,

In my stupidity, I had a VPN running on the machine that I was running my server from.
Turning that off fixed everything

2 Likes

What’s the local IP of the device you have Infuse on? You can open up the console from Plex → Settings → Console and watch as you press play on Infuse and you’ll see a bunch of messages in the console with the local IP address of the device.

It doesn’t tell me the IP it’s coming from, but it does have a log entry for “Streaming Resource: Bandwidth exceeded: 7775 kbps > 2000 kbps.” If I play the same video through the Plex app on the same Apple TV, I don’t see any messages about streaming a remote source, and playback is totally fine. And according to my bandwidth graph, all the traffic from the Plex app is local, and streaming as high as 110 Mbps for 4K content.

I’m wondering if Infuse doesn’t like the fact that I’m on a 192.168.86.x network…is there a bug where if I’m not on 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x that it thinks it’s not local?

What’s also interesting is I don’t have my upload bandwidth limited. According to the web interface, it’s set as unlimited.

That shouldn’t matter. Have you adjusted the upload bandwidth option in plex to something very large?

I removed the limit completely. But no matter what, the logs seem stuck at “2000 kbps”

Enabled debug logging on my Plex server so I could watch the requests and traffic patterns. Every time Infuse tries to connect to the Plex server, it’s seen as a remote access and denied connectivity because the Plex server doesn’t have a “conversion profile” for the request, so it’s stuck trying to direct play at the 2000 Kbps limit the relay server imposes on it and gets denied for a bandwidth error. If I disable the relay proxy on the Plex server, Infuse can’t see the server at all. Both Apple TV and server are on the same subnet; LAN is configured for the subnet. All other devices on my network are seen as local, including when I playback through the Plex app on the Apple TV server with Infuse on it, the server sees the Plex app as local just fine.

Giving up and just playing back the 4K movies over SMB.

For what it is worth, I had the issue several years ago when running Plex’s own client, and the problem went away as soon as I switched to Infuse. I was back then running a 200/200 Mbit fiber connection, and not even streaming outside of that, so likely unrelated to any hardware problems.

If you check Plex’s forums, you’ll see that this is very much a common error that people have, and I thus believe it to be a server problem, or something software backend related to their relay service.

No matter what I change, the problem persists. I never had this problem before switching to fiber. I use Infuse, but with my shared folders. I only use Plex for specific broadcasts