Plex Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

if the router supports NAT loop back enabling this feature will also prevent plex from going through the relay. Low end consumer routers and ISP routers may not have this feature. This screen shot is from an ubiquiti edgerouter-x

2 Likes

@JarvisMeier Router used is probably Cisco or something fancy, I have no idea :man_shrugging:

That’s the absolute beauty of running Plex in a dedicated VPS in Docker in a DC… :smirk:

Either way, I have enabled the “Treat WAN IP As LAN Bandwidth” option to see how it goes… It’s damn inconsistent so makes testing difficult, but @james pointing out Plex Relay is the first time we have more information…

Maybe this is it? Will keep an eye and update here!

1 Like

Just an update - still happening

I take it your plex server is cloud hosted? Double check firewall ports are open to allow direct connection otherwise you’ll go through the plex relay. Optionally you could create an IPsec bridge between your network and the cloud hosted environment (if it’s allowed).

@JarvisMeier Should be clear that it is cloud hosted as I have mentioned this multiple times.

Firewall is open and directly accessible, no issues there. IPSec won’t work as I won’t be supporting everyone connected to my Plex server who I have sold on the brilliance of Infuse.

To be extremely clear, none of these issues happen when using Plex native app. Not once. Not a single time. This is related to Infuse and how it connects

Test-NetConnection plex.my.server -port 8443

ComputerName     : plex.my.server
RemoteAddress    : 1.2.3.4
RemotePort       : 8443
InterfaceAlias   : ThisIsLife_wg
SourceAddress    : 10.255.0.11
TcpTestSucceeded : True

Not sure if this applies to your specific remote server, but there is some info on disabling Plex relay here. Might be worth a try.

An update…

Never went the reddit route to disable relay as Plex has a toggle in settings…

The toggle works to disable relay as far as I can test.

However, and given the fact that viewing time has taken a dip on my side, error still occurs… Also had 1 or 2 occasions where Infuse said file was not available, which got resolved by restarting Infuse…

I had the same Problem. My newst Plex server (Docker) has the problem with follwing error message with the Apple TV HD (2021): Transcode Reason: Not enough bandwidth for direct play of this item. Required Bandwidth is X kbps and only Y kbps is available.
With my Notebook and Plex webclient was no error. My solution was:

1. In Docker “- ADVERTISE_IP= MYServerIP” e.g. “- ADVERTISE_IP= http://192.168.2.XXX:32400/”
  2. deactivated RELAY(!) : You find this checkbox in “network”

Perhaps someone help it…

I am glad the Advertise IP worked for you, but it has been in my docker-compose since day 1, so don’t think that is the ultimate answer…

For reference below, see my config…

#
# Plex - Media streaming server
#
  plex:
    restart: unless-stopped
    image: plexinc/pms-docker
    container_name: plex
    hostname: plex
    cpu_shares: 8192
    ports:
      - 8443:32400
    volumes:
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
      - ${CONFIGS}/Plex:/config
      - /tmp:/transcode
      - /bin/netstat:/bin/netstat:ro
      - ${MEDIA}:/Media
    environment:
      - ADVERTISE_IP=https://plex.${MYDOMAIN}:8443
      - PUID=${USERID}
      - PGID=${GROUPID}
      - PLEX_CLAIM=${PLEXCLAIM}
      - TZ=${TIMEZONE}
      - VIRTUAL_HOST=plex.${MYDOMAIN}
      - VIRTUAL_PORT=32400
      - VIRTUAL_PROTO=https
      - VIRTUAL_NETWORK=nginx-proxy
      - LETSENCRYPT_HOST=plex.${MYDOMAIN}
      - LETSENCRYPT_EMAIL=${MYEMAIL}
    healthcheck:
      test: ["CMD-SHELL", "netstat -ntlp | grep :32400 && mountpoint /Media"]
      interval: 10s
      timeout: 2s
      retries: 3
    logging:
      driver: "json-file"
      options:
        max-size: "100m"
        max-file: "1"

Obvious should be ${MYDOMAIN} being FQDN with correct A-Record pointing to the server…

I’m getting same error on my Mac. Although, I have no issue with streaming the same content on my iPhone. I am on Plex Share but I am pretty sure there is no bandwidth limit or something. What should I do to fix the issue?

If force closing and re-opening Infuse doesn’t work, then checking the remote connection and making sure Plex isn’t putting you on Relay does.

I am getting this same error it tells me to adjustthe remote streaming and/or uploa speed setting in plex in order to play this video. I can not find where these setting are in plex i have searched every tab in there. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve got this same issue, but I can’t tell if anyone here has actually solved it. My Plex Server (PC) is literally plugged into the same router via ethernet as my AppleTV. They both share IP addresses on the same subnet. I’ve tried restarting Plex, deleting and reinstalling Infuse, opening up all the bandwidth for remote connections (even though this should be local playback), and I still get nothing but “Bandwidth Exceeded” messages–even when trying to play old 360p content. Meanwhile, the Plex client has no problem with 4K content at seriously high bitrates, so I know it’s not a “bandwidth” issue.

Have you tried specifying your local subnet in the plex server?

I only get the issue when I am trying to use it remotely. Not on same network.

Yes. I’ve specified subnets and not specified them. Neither worked.

I don’t have issues. Here are my settings:

In network section

“Enable local gem discovery”: enabled
“Remote streams allow”: unlimited
“LAN networks”: 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0
“Treat wan ip as lab bandwidth”: enabled
“Enable relay”: disabled
“List of ips and networks allowed without with”: 10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0

Remote access section

“Manually specify port”: 32400
“Internet upload speed”: 150
“Limit remote stream bitrate”: original

I’m also using an ubiquiti ER-X as my router with NAT hair pinning enabled.

So the problem is Infuse doesn’t recognize that the Plex server is on the same subnet as the Apple TV. The Plex server’s IP address is 192.168.86.66, while the Apple TV is 192.168.86.29. Both are talking to the same gateway. But if I disable “Enable Relay,” all I get is errors from Infuse about how it can’t connect to the Plex server. If I enable it, I get bandwidth errors.

I don’t know how Infuse detects it’s on the same subnet, but something in their logic is broken. Plex Client on the Apple TV doesn’t seem to have this problem. If I disable “Enable Relay,” the Plex client has no problem connecting to the Plex server and serving up 90Mb video streams.

Only works if I remove the Plex share and directly access the server via SMB.

If you disable the relay and then remove the plex server and try to re-add does it discover it? Also do you have local GDM discovery enabled?