Transliterate Chinese Siri voice search (tvOS)

My emby resource library is all in Simplified Chinese. If I use Traditional Chinese to search, I will not be able to search for the resources I want to see. Can you add a function that supports both Simplified and Traditional Chinese searches in the next version? Because Apple TV Currently, only Traditional Chinese Siri is supported, but I need to use Siri to replace the typing function of the remote control. Thank you very much for your support!

On Apple TV, voice input only supports traditional Chinese, which makes it difficult for Chinese users to quickly search for desired content using the remote control.

Currently, there are several apps that support searching for Simplified Chinese content even in Traditional Chinese. If Infuse can also achieve this, it would be great, although it may be a bit difficult for you.

I hope you can see my requirement and consider implementing it. Thank you!

1 Like

Just to clarify, your asking for Siri voice input to recognize Simplified Chinese in the search fields within Infuse?

I believe that the languages that Siri dictation will recognize are determined by Apple, not the developers though.

No, no, no, Siri voice input is still Traditional Chinese. I know this is determined by Apple’s system, but you can convert Traditional Chinese into Simplified Chinese before sending it to the backend server for searching.

It is similar to an automatic translation function. There should be a switch because some people still need to use Traditional Chinese.

What region is your device set to and what language is Siri set to use?

Have you tried changing the Siri language to Chinese (Mandarin - Taiwan) in Apple TV > Settings > General?

This is how I set it up. It’s just that although the Apple TV system supports Simplified Chinese, Siri voice input only supports Traditional Chinese for some reason. As a result, if the metadata of my movie library is in Simplified Chinese, I have to use Siri voice input to search. The content will not be found.

Currently, I can only use my iPhone to connect to Apple TV to search by typing. This operation is difficult for my family members, especially if some people in my family do not use iPhones, it will be even more difficult to search.

This is an open source traditional to simplified Chinese character library project, you can refer to it below。-- LittleLin/SwiftZhConverter: Convert between traditional and simplified Chinese in Swift (github.com)

Enhancement Proposal: Integrating Automatic Conversion Between Simplified and Traditional Chinese for Search Functionality in the Infuse App

If Infuse could support searching with traditional Chinese input and then convert it to simplified Chinese for searching in the background, that would be great.

This way, it would be possible to input traditional Chinese via Siri remote voice input and search for simplified Chinese in the background.

In China, Apple TV only supports voice input in traditional Chinese, while 97%+ of movie titles in my Plex and Emby libraries are in simplified Chinese.

The specific implementation can refer to GitHub - LittleLin/SwiftZhConverter: Convert between traditional and simplified Chinese in Swift

One reason is that Apple cannot sell Apple TV in Mainland China, except for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, which leads to voice input being only available in traditional Chinese.

这恐怕很难实现 除非能上国行的Atv 还有希望

Mod Edit For Translation

I’m afraid this will be difficult to achieve unless there is hope for the ATV service provided by the National Bank.

有开源的繁简对照表,发后台前做下转换就可以了,代码也十分简单,其他app分分钟就做好了

Mod Edit For Translation

There is an open source traditional and simplified comparison table. You only need to convert it before publishing it to the backend. The code is also very simple. Other apps can complete it in minutes.

Yeah, this is a legit issue, and it’s a pretty big deal for users in mainland China specifically. The root of the problem is that Apple’s Siri voice service doesn’t currently support Simplified Chinese characters, mainly because the APPLE TV isn’t actually sold in the region.

Explaining this to someone who doesn’t speak Chinese can be quite a challenge, so I reached out to other developers and we came up with an open-source workaround. It’s way easier to explain through a project – basically, what we’ve done is just a temporary fix that involves converting between Traditional and Simplified Chinese characters.

For now, switching between the two character sets is a stopgap measure. Ultimately, what’s needed is for Apple to officially add Simplified Chinese support to Siri. And if there’s any testing involved, I’d be more than happy to lend a hand.

Please also post in English so that more users can benefit from your contributions. Also you may get an answer sooner from others who have had the same problem.

也请用英文发布,以便更多用户可以从您的贡献中受益。 此外,您可能会更快地从遇到同样问题的其他人那里得到答案。

Sure,I’m sorry for that,I just replied to him using the same language and it’s nothing to do with this issue.

So back to the topic, after my explanation above, I don’t know if you understand my needs.