fetching metadata is turned off, but mp still fetches metadata...why?

hi,

(first, in most of my folders are exported .nfo files from xbmc.)

i’ve turned off meta data fetching in mp for a good reason: it slows everything unnescesary down.

(unfortunately, turning fetching off, does not mean to NOT create a thumbnail of the media file, so i have a feature request along this post: please add an userchoseable option to not only turn off media fetching, but also turn off thumbnail-creating.)

anyways, if i browse into a folder with about 40 avi files, mp wants to fetch the metadata. i see a small window in the upper left corner of the screen, telling me how many items to fetch…if the fetching is done (although it is turned OFF), the avi files in that folder do not have a thumbnail, so mp tries to get a thumb every time, i focus an avi files.

also, if i move back to an avi file, which showed and empty paper icon, mp still want to fetch something the next time i focus it.

so thats what happens: first time i enter the folder, mp automaticly scans all the files or tries to fetch something (i see the small window).

then, moving through the files with the remote, mp wants to fetch something again (but still does not find anything)

i can’t imagine, thats a correct behaviour, but i’M not sure, so can anybody please tell m:

how can i stop mp from fetching data from the internet when i’m moving/browsing through my folders in listview?

(also, if you are a developer in firecore, please don’t forget my feature request above :slight_smile: )

Yes, please somebody fix this retarded behavior. I have over 500 movies in my folder and it keeps crashing my AppleTV because it’s trying to load all those thumbnails. who the hell needs thumbnails or cover art anyway? I know what the movie is about - I don’t need a stupid thumbnail to remind me. I just want to be able to scroll through the names and select the one I want without it crashing on me.

a really annoying thing is, that if i switch folders, all the thumbs are re-created.

say, i have a folder with about 300 folders which contain mainly movies and i scroll through the 300 folders while atv2 is loading the metadata (which i deactivated, but atv2 does not care anyways…) and then switch into a folder with a movie i’d like to watch, but decide not to watch it and therefore leave that folder again, atv2 starts imediatly to load all the metada again (which i deactivated, but atv2 does not care anyways…) when i leave that folder.

so its just loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and steals bandwidth and steals memory and let the atv2 crash faster that with a folder with only 3 movies…

If metadata fetching is disabled, Media Player will not fetch information from the internet, but it will attempt to generate thumbnail images for each file.

That said, once MP fetches info from the internet (or generates it from the file itself) this information is cached, so the next time the folder is loaded the metadata should load virtually instantly.

If you’re seeing some other behavior please let us know.

did you completely miss the part where people are saying that this behavior is causing CRASHES?

I don’t think the AppleTV can handle generating 500+ thumbnails at once.

Can’t you guys add an option to disable thumbnails?

they really are useless in list view.

also, if it’s just generating thumbnails, how is it able to show the cover art? and why does it say “fetching metadata”?

If you’re seeing a crash when fetching/loading metadata there is likely an issue with one of the files (corrupted/unreadable). If you’re able to send in a bug report (link below) we can look into the exact cause.

I’ll pass along the suggestion for the option to disable thumbnail generation.

@staff:

well, actually, i wrote everything i see and know. (february this year)

if you can’t imagine that this things actually happen here, how can i support you with more information i wrote?

i wrote a ticket (#29304) (one month later (march) this year) because nobody of the staff seems to be in charge or feels responsible for my post here.

i got the typical “Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll pass it along and see what we can do.” with no further questions, and now (today) i still asking myself, if you (the staff) care about us, the paying uses which like to tell you what works and what does not work on your product.

well, while your product grows and get better and better, its still not an enjoyment to use and can still be improved in a lot of ways. i read a lot of suggestions here, which don’t even get answered by you (the staff).

so, if you need any information for solving the issue here in the post, please let us know.

i could make a video, which shows that it happens exactly* as i wrote and not the way you (the staff) are telling it should.

but that wouldnt make any difference imho.

cheers,

*which i hopefully described with the correct words and grammar, because english is not my native language.

@m.m.8607

I just pulled up your ticket and it was indeed filed as a feature request, which seems appropriate. It’s expected behavior for the current version to generate thumbnails if metadata fetching is disabled. This may be something we’ll be able to look into for a future version, but to be honest since most folks prefer to have metadata fetching enabled, putting time into a feature that will allows for the feature to be completely disabled will have a much lower priority when compared to other features and fixes that are currently being worked on.

Aside from this, if you’re seeing strange behavior (crashing, slow loading of thumbnails, etc…) it’s best to submit a bug report. Details for doing this can be found here.