refurb atv2 from apple has 4.44

Just got a refurbed aTV 2 from Apple. It has 4.44 firmware. Can this be jailbroken or do I have to update to latest software to jailbreak. Thanks

DO NOT UPGRADE

Follow these instructions Jailbreaking ATV2 Running 5.0.1 or Less, After Apple Stopped Signing Older Firmware Versions - Seas0nPass - Firecore

If I recall… someone else mentioned that even though the refurbs have 4.4.4 firmware, in Tinyumbrella, they are showing up as 5.1.

Is an untethered jailbreak still possible??

Following the link I posted will give him an untetheted jailbreak at 4.4.4 (iOS 5.0.1)

Wow!! That was quick. Thanks for the information. I’m a Mac user but my wife has a PC laptop. I will give it a try and report back. Thanks again!!

Yes, please do let me know if you get it to work.  I just bought a refurbished Apple TV2 and would like to know your progress.

There is no if, it will work 100%.

Went through all the steps exactly as laid out in the post provided. No errors when restoring through iTunes. The aTV however was not jailbroken. Thanks for the help, guess I’ll wait for the untethered JB for 5.1

Try this, it’s much easier Jailbreaking 4.4.4 (3330) - Fast way - Seas0nPass - Firecore

Thanks Flipmode, but don’t think that’s possible now. After attaching atv to Tv and discovering no jailbreak I left the unit on, went away and came back to find that it had upgraded to the 5.0. I’m sure there’s no way to go back anymore. Thanks for all the useful info.

If you have saved your blobs then it is still possible.

I have the blobs saved that I dumped from iFaith. They are still in the desktop folder that I extracted them into. but I don’t know what to do next.

Follow post 8

Thank you!!! It worked perfectly. Installed XBMC and am good to go. One final question: is it OK to install atv flash (I have versions 1.3, 1.4, & 1.5) or will it conflict with the nito tv already installed?  Again, thanks so much for your help.