Newb - saving firmware signatures quick question

Ok… I am new to the scene… just inherited 2 ATV2 units at apple version 5.3

I went ahead and jailbroke the first one and got it all running without any issue.  However, I was unable to save the blobs and I am not sure why.  I want to get this blob saved just incase an untethered JB comes out for this version.

I turned off all firewalls and anti-virus stuff that could have been interferring.  I am on a PC.  I tried multiple times using the SeasOnPass program, and it would always fail.  I tried using TinyUmbrella as well (with Cydia servers turned both on and off) and it also fails.  I haven’t tried flashback yet… I have read a bit about using the iFaith program directly but I thought that is what these other programs were using?

I believe Apple is still signing the 5.3 version, right?   any clue as to what I am doing wrong with my technique or understanding of the process?

TIA

Your experience replicates what many of us have experienced when trying to save 5.3 (or 5.2.1) signatures with SP 9.3. 

I have not tried TinyUnbrella, but iFaith 1.5.9 will save the signatures. 

So here is where I am…

On the new unit running 5.3, I was able to use iFaith and successfully save the signatures.  Then I went ahead and did the jailbreak and all good.   On the other unit that I have jailbroken (but not saved the signatures), when I run iFaith it seems to get stuck at the Uploading iBECS step.  I thought maybe the servers were getting hit hard with the IOS 7 nonsense, so I waited a few days and went back to my “new” unit that I was previously able to save the signatures on.  This time when I try it, I get to the uploading iBECs stage and it gives me an error that there are no available signatures on that flash. 

As of today, should this all be doable with iFaith?  I really want to get the signatures from the original unit so that one day I might be able to move to an untethered JB if one comes out.  Are they currently still signing or whatever else needs to happen?

thanks

Saving signatures is only needed if you intend on going back to that version someday. It’s not needed to move on to a new JB.  If you have ATVFlash installed you can back them up that way.

As far as why you can’t save the signatures, I can’t answer that.4

Hmm… I guess I am still a bit confused.  If an untethered jailbreak for version 5.3 does come out, so I need to have the signatures saved to install it?  I understand I need them if I intend to roll back to an older version, but I am currently at version 5.3 now…   If I don’t need them for that, then I don’t care about not being able to save them…   but if I do need them for that, then I want to solve this…

thanks

I don’t think version 5.3 will ever become an untethered version, but if it does your version 5.3, tethered or stock, will allow the untethered 5.3 to be installed. It is a good idea to get those signatures saved, so keep on trying different cables, ports, or try a diffrent version of ifaith.

The way seasonpass works is

1. If you are trying to jailbreak it will see if the jailbreak version is the version you have on your ATV, if it is it will pull the signature off the ATV and make you an .ispw for the jailbreak.

2. If you don’t have that version on your ATV it will check the cydia servers to see if you have the saved signatures, if they are there it will pull the signature off cydia and make you an .ispw for the jailbreak.

If neither 1 or 2 is true you will get an error.

If you’ve saved the signatures to your hard drive you can a combination of key strokes (I think shift+right-click on the CREATE IPSW icon) and choose that signature. I might be wrong on the keystrokes, so you may have to look that up.