XMBC always crashes, on any video source

I have an Apple TV 2. I jailbroke it using Seas0nPass, according to the directions here. I was getting errors (like 1600, etc) every  time I tried it, using 2 different Windows computers, and 2 different cables. Finally I just plugged my device back into my TV, and it came up and told me I had successfully jailbroken it. :-)

So then I installed aTV Flash (black) and that was successful. And I installed XBMC. And I then added some video sources (such as Revision , TWIT and YouTube). But whenever I choose to play any of them, XBMC just crashes - screen goes black, and then I get back to the main Apple TV menu. If I choose YouTube, I can sign in, see my subscriptions, but when I choose to play one, it just goes back to the thumbnails page of my subscriptions. Choosing a YouTube "Suggestion" for streaming just crashes everything, and I end up back at the main Apple TV menu. So at the moment, XBMC is totally broken for me,

I'm guessing I did something wrong, but can't figure out what, since the installs all seemed to be successful. But XBMC doesn't play, nor does media player - it says it sees no shares. Does it work with SMB? I only have Windows clients, and standard Windows shares.

Apple TV, IOS 4.2.1, wired. aTV Flash (black) beta 4.

Where to go from here, to troubleshoot/resolve? I tried removing XBMC, and re-installing, with no difference.

Update: from a post by marcoc.61978, I turned off video acceleration, and now I can see videos! But they are so choppy that they can't be viewed (Revision 3  was particularly bad, TWIT was pretty much acceptable). The audio cuts in and out, and the video lags far behind the audio. Visually, it looks OK, picture clear, etc. I tried changing settings on the video source (MP4 Large, etc) which helped a bit, but not a lot.

So I suppose that's progress of a sort. :-)

XBMC 10.0-7.

XBMC version that is generally released Is known to have problems on the latest Apple firmware.

I am told that if you install the latest of the ‘nightly’ builds from the XBMC home site that things now work well. Also hardware acceleration has been improved so that a better (I.e. not choppy) playing of HD video is achieved. However you may not want to get involved in the steps required to install such builds.

The alternative is to wait for the Firecore Media player to improve. The next beta is meant to have SMB support which will finally make it usable as an alternative to XBMC as far as I am concerned as all my media is on Windows compatible shares on the network.

[quote="itimpi"] XBMC version that is generally released Is known to have problems on the latest Apple firmware. [/quote]

That was the version I got when I chose it to be installed from the aTV Flash menu. I didn't go and install it or build it from the XBMC site or anything.

[quote="itimpi"] I am told that if you install the latest of the 'nightly' builds from the XBMC home site that things now work well. Also hardware acceleration has been improved so that a better (I.e. not choppy) playing of HD video is achieved. However you may not want to get involved in the steps required to install such builds. [/quote]

Yeah, I usually try to avoid nightly builds. Too much work. :-)

[quote="itimpi"] The alternative is to wait for the Firecore Media player to improve. The next beta is meant to have SMB support which will finally make it usable as an alternative to XBMC as far as I am concerned as all my media is on Windows compatible shares on the network. [/quote]

Yeah, I can wait. I have a Samsung TV which will access those files (via a DLNA program), so I can watch them that way. Be nice to be able to do it all from one device, but it's not critical. I can surely wait.

Thanks

Nightly builds are too easy to install.  And definately worth it.  Fixed 75% of my XBMC crashes.  Now I have too much to watch.

Questions for Beta 5
will it also include the latest XBMC version?

Yes, but only the official Dharma 10.1 was released so… no, but you if you want to take advantage of the latest nightly build

I had the same problem and fixed it by following the instructions
below… Now XBMC works beautifully

1. Jailbreak your AppleTV with Seas0nPass

2. Log into you AppleTV via ssh:
    $ ssh root@< your ATV2 IP address >

root@< your ATV2 IP address >'s password:
‘‘enter your password here, it should be “alpine” if you haven’t changed it’’

1. Make update on the AppleTV:
    apt-get update apt-get -f install

2. Download the latest beta nightly build of XBMC
    $ wget http://hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/latest_atv2.deb
    (then hit enter and wait until its done)

3. Install the XBMC you just downloaded
    $ dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
    (then hit enter and wait until its done)

4. Manually Install XBMC Dependents
    apt-get install curl apt-get install org.awkwardtv.whitelist
    $ apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock

5. Just to make sure that all dependencies have been installed properly:
    $ apt-get -f install

6. Block your Apple TV from checking with Apple for iOS updates
    cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com” >> /etc/hosts
    echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts echo “127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net” >> /etc/hosts

7. Change your root password because the default password is no secret
    $ passwd
    < new password >
    < new password >

8. Respring your system
    $ killall AppleTV

9. close the ssh connection and enjoy XBMC on your AppleTV

10. if you experience Audio Issues try this fix:-
    From Apple TV menu set your device in new Audio Mode > Menu settings option to 16 bit audio
    Settings>Audio & Video>Audio Output and change it from “Auto” to “16 bit”

When I try to use your install tips, I get the following error in the terminal:

Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-7 (using latest_atv2.deb.1) …
Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 …
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (10.0-7) …
No matching processes were found
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (–install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Could you help?

Carsten

Are you using the latest iOS?

Did you uninstall any prior XBMC setup before attempting the steps above?

Do you have the latest nitoTV installed?

Looks like you have mixed installs -  (using latest_atv2.deb.1) …

be sure you are logged in as root… 

type ls at the prompt to see how many update packages you have:

aTV2:~ root# ls
Library/  Media/  latest_atv2.deb  xbmc_atv2-arm.deb

remove all previous updates
aTV2:~ root# rm latest_atv2.deb

repeat if any others

try again from the beginning of the instructions.

@alexandera.3565

THANKS A LOT YOU ARE A GENIOUS!!!

After reading your post I unistalled XBMC the installed it new via ssh 

via the following code:

apt-get update

apt-get install

wget http://hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/latest_atv2.deb

dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb

apt-get install curl apt-get install org.awkwardtv.whitelist apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock

apt-get -f install

cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

killall AppleTV

Obviously I first logged in 

ssh root@<ip address>

password

the the code above at once it did it like magic

I owe you one!!!

I love it when it works… :wink:

Does this procedure helps with mkv crash issue with xbmc?? I just bought this crap ass atv and was looking for atv to play flash player but it is a big disappointment and they have reply to my refund request. Second, this atv and xbmc and atv2 is even worse than my asus r1 when broswing the nas. This atv2 requires upnp service to be enable before they can see files. Pretty crap is all i can say. And please refund my money firecore so i can return this atv2 to futureshop.

this might help… http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=97246

What makes you think this?    I can play media off my NAS using SMB shares without any problems.

My mistake for not fully describe the upnp but What I meant was the upnp AV server from my dns-323 and nas-200 nas. I have decided to hold-on with the atv and right now, I am just hoping for all of these medial players like atv flash media player stuttering and buffering issues when streaming movies. XBMC crash once I try to load mkv files. Please get this fix if you can firtecore or xbmc. My asus hpd_r1 streams movies from my nas or computer without issue but this atv is better with all the option to install apps and that is what brought me to buy atv.

First, let me say thank-you Quinn. Ya, those step really help :slight_smile: but it is still slow when buffering. I don’t know if this is the cause of atv2 in general or xbmc but this thing has 5.0ghz n and it sitting right next to my wndr3700. Second, can’t wait until firecore works out all the issue and release their final version of atv with everything being proper configurated.

minh huud.0772, I’m glad your seem to be finding a place for the aTV2. I need a few crucial items about your device to help… Regarding Buffering issues

- What version of IOS were you running when you jailbroke the aTV and what did you use to jailbreak it? GreenPoison or fireCore’s Seas0nPass?

- Are all devices wired or mixed WiFi and hardwired in your network? If all are wired are you using a 10/100/1000 switch or a HUB?

- Have you installed a nightly update yet, to at least may 7, 2011 release? As was discussed earlier in this thread? if not, do this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=768428&postcount=85

I bought this atv2 3 days ago and it came with 4.2.1 installed. I use green poisin to jailbreak it and after that I bought firecore and used season pass to jailbreak it.

For the wifi and wired question. I havent tried to wire the device with my router yet but 5.0ghz wifi should not be the issue, just a guess and since it is like a foot away from the router. All my wired devices include router and computers are connected @1gig or maybe upto depends on the network activities. Hope that help. If you have any more question, I am willing to help to make this thing, what can I say “awesome player”.