XBMC crashes on MKV after iOS 4.3 update

Hi, 

I upgraded to iOS 4.3 last night on the ATV2.  I use an iomega iconnect to allow XBMC to connect to my media on a western digital USB via samba share over the network. I have many of my movies in .MKV format so I can get full Dolby 5.1 when watching them on the ATV.

In the previous version of XBMC (from iOS 4.2.1 untethered boot), I was able to play MKV moview. In the new version, accessing .MKV files causes XBMC to crash and I'm returned to the main ATV home screen.  MPG and AVI (and MP3) play fine in XBMC.

Is this a known issue with XBMC?  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot it more?

Thanks,

Josh

I have the exact same problem. Will try the restore and jailbreak proccess again I suppose

The main reason I did the 4.3 update was to get Netflix to stream in Dolby 5.1.  It seems that eventhough the Apple TV now supports 5.1 streaming from Netflix, Netflix isnt streaming anything in 5.1 to the ATV2 yet.

I downgraded back to 4.2.1 and now XBMC is working fine again with MKV files.  I guess we'll have to wait until the kinks get worked out

Hi,

exactly same here with 4.3 and MKV. If i switch off the hardware acceleration in video settings its possible to play the mkv´s, but this is scrap because of scatering video playing than.

So, back to 4.2.1 and wait.... 

magusel

I'm also having the same problem. On XBMC the mkv file simply crashes the system. on the Media Player it runs for some 15 seconds and then a " low memory"  message pops up and stops the video. 

I think the problem lies on the media player of firecore. I am on 4.2.1 and when I installed media player mkv's on xbmc crashed. When I removed the media player mkv functionality returned to normal

Yes, I faced the same problem with HD videos. I uninstalled media player and thereafter it started working fine on XBMC. 

It seems like Media Player has some updates from iOS4.3.

Mine crashes playing mkc files in xbmc no matter what I uninstall.

So far the best option at the moment is plex, but I just wish I didn't have to have PMS running on my mac. Streaming from iTunes is much smoother tho I hasten to add, But I really don't want to convert around 200 movies to iTunes format!

I really hope the new ATV Flash media player does everything I want it to in time.

Same here - installing the Firecore meia player broke XBMC playing mkv files on iOS 4.2.1. Removing media player fixed the issue.

Have you seen XBMC's tweet here:

https://twitter.com/#!/XBMC

And this link:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=97246

Even having installed the unofficial build of XBMC I am still finding it a lot less reliable on 4.3.1 with a number of key Video add-ons I use just not working.  I am very tempted to roll back ATV2 to 4.2.1.

On plus side, at least we have Firecore Media player for now!

Thanks jonm for the link. I did install the XBMC unofficial build on iOS 4.3 (jailbroken) and everything started working fine.

This indeed sucks, because I want MLB.tv more than I want HD movies.  Oh well, if it's not fixed when my school obligations end, I'll poke around with nightly builds.

Turning off hardware accelleration let me play MKVs, but they were so stuttery that I couldn't watch them.

Hi,

XBMC crashes because it is currently not supported on latest iOS 4.3 or ATV 4.2.1. Downgrade your Apple TV iOS version using instructions provided at this link:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4140?page=2#comment-15785

It will work after downgrading.

[quote="jonm.07293"]

Have you seen XBMC's tweet here:

https://twitter.com/#!/XBMC

And this link:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=97246

Even having installed the unofficial build of XBMC I am still finding it a lot less reliable on 4.3.1 with a number of key Video add-ons I use just not working.  I am very tempted to roll back ATV2 to 4.2.1.

On plus side, at least we have Firecore Media player for now!

[/quote]

Ayup

Yeh. It means downgrade your APTV2 from v4.3.1 to v4.2.1. 

You will still be able to use your firecore Media Player and other feature. And the most important part is the XBMC that will surely work with v4.2.1

Guys,

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove fire force media player form apple tv 2?

xbmc crashes everytime i play a movie.

just go to the maintenance menu and remove from there - you need to scroll down to the media player item and tap on the right key of remote so you get option to remove.  I actually just rolled back my ATV to 4.2.1 and it's sweet.  i use Media Player and XBMC and both are working fine.  No point upgrading to 4.3 until plugins catch up in my opinion.

I did not save SHSH blobs before upgrading to 4.3, because none of the jailbreaking guides (like those from lifehacker) mentioned this (this is the first apple anything I’ve owned in more than 5 years, so I am new to jailbreaking).  So, yeah, no dice on the old downgrade.

What is the process to downgrade back to 4.2.1? I used to be able to play MKVs on my XBMC on Apple TV but after an upgrade I have the same “crash” issue and I would like to revert back. Thanks!