WOL Feature only sends packet on Client App startup

Firstly I would point out that this is quite a specific issue and would require a developmental change in the software, secondly I would also point out that Infuse is the best thing I have ever used so it is not a complaint.

With the ever spirally cost of living in the UK I have been looking at reducing power usage in my home, part of this was to stop leaving my Windows FileServer on 24/7 and only have it on when Infuse needs it.

The process works fine to be honest, my Windows Server is asleep, Infuse opens on Apple TV and sends the magic WOL packet and wakes up my fileserver. All good!

But there is a problem as Infuse ONLY sends this WOL packet when Infuse is opened, this causes an imperfect scenario as follows.

Infuse will cache alot of the media you are watching and once it has done so, if your power management policy on your fileserver goes to sleep after 10-20 minutes for example, it may not be online when you come to the next episode.

For example, if you watch a 40 minute show and it takes Infuse 5 minutes to cache the entire media file, the media server will go to sleep before Infuse calls for the next episode. Or if you finish watching that EP and want to watch something else entirely returning to the main menu. Nothing will wake up the file server at this point unless you close infuse completely and re-open.

Sure I can just not set a power management policy on the server and leave it on all the time or manually send it to sleep from my phone when I know im not using it. But what I would love to do is have it on an aggressive sleep policy so it goes to sleep soon after Infuse has finished caching the content, then when you return to the menu and call for another piece of media or what you are watching ticks over to the next episode…at this point Infuse client again sends the WOL packet, in this scenario it means you could set a 5 minute sleep policy on the fileserver but also rely on Infuse waking it back up again should it go to sleep from 5 minutes of inactivity.

Does this make sense to people or is there some other config I can do to get this to work?

I think it would be an awesome addition into the software and I doubt would be a major overhaul for the DEV folks.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d just set the sleep timer on the server to 1 or 2 hours.

After plugging in a Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor and seeing exactly how much energy my server was using while running vs when sleeping it didn’t make much difference at all for a few extra hours a day.

1 Like

There are totally appropriate alternatives but for me I save £30 a month just from having it not on when it’s not in use and thats half a tank of fuel.

Anyway, to be clear, my cost saving isn’t Infuse’s problem, its my own, I love the product I just think a WOL packet sent each time media is requested would mean you could run a super aggressive power saving function. I run a 30TB Windows Fileserver at home and recently I migrated all my services to a Raspberry Pi so the fileserver is used just for…serving files.

Yeah setting it to two hours is fine to be honest but I was trying to avoid any issues for my wife, lets be honest alot of us who build these systems in our houses need it to be wife proof so what I didnt want is for her to watch a show that was an hour long but the entire media had cached within the first 10 minutes…and say she wanted to watch something after but Infuse was still open but the server as asleep…id get the text about OMG how everything is too complicated when it really isn’t :slight_smile:

I dropped it in the suggestion part, maybe the folks will consider it at some point.

Thanks for replying though.

Also meant to ask, have you added the MAC address to the share info in Infuse? That will also help with waking.

Have you tried measuring how much more energy it takes to wake your NAS. When drives are spinning up, this will consume the most power and a super aggressive sleep policy might actually cost more energy. Plus the extra wear on the disks should be accounted Ted for too.

I don’t worry about the energy costs anymore on this. I think I have it set for 4 hours before sleep and it’s not often on my net where it gets 4 hours quiet time unless I’m away.

I was always told that the NAS is designed to be a 24/7/365 device so I’ll take it to task. :wink:

I have a pretty large UPS that handles the NAS, router, modem, critical Mac, and a handful of external drives and it’s been solid for years.

I asked since you said you had a monitor, perhaps you could measure for the rest of us.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I don’t shut things down very often but I’ll put a note on the UPS to put the meter on the NAS the next down time.

You want just the NAS correct?

1 Like

Yes please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, MAC is there against the FTP share details, the WOL works, the overriding point I am making is that WOL packets are only sent when you open the Infuse Client, not when you select a title etc.

1 Like

In my case it doesnt take much more energy than normal to wake up my FileServer, which is basically a huge desktop case with many drives in it. It only uses 150ish watts when it is on but I was leaving it on 24/7, I just dont need to do that anymore, one of the reasons is that I am a father now so the fileserver is rarely required before 7pm before my wife and I settle down to some titles.

So keeping the box off for at least 70% of the day will put money back in our pocket, I mean Im not living on the breadline but I dont want to spend completely unnecessarily.

The waking up works great tbh, just thought for my personal taste a tweak to it would be useful and then it wouldn’t matter what sleep time you set, if the machine was off it would wake up whenever Infuse called for a title…in the event of course where it had gone to sleep because the content you were watching had cached and lasted longer than the sleep time of the server.

1 Like

If Firecore will be considering granting such wishes, I’d like my version of Infuse to send my NAS the wake command not on my completing a program and beginning to start viewing another, but about a minute prior to my doing so, to account for my Synology’s spool-up lag — which always takes a few seconds longer than Infuse is willing to wait before sending a time-out error.

I understand what you’re asking for but one other possible solution would be to set the Streaming Cache to either Memory only or possibly Legacy. These setting reduce the amount of cache you’ll buffer before it ticks the server again. This may be just the solution you’re looking for without having to change the program or your sleep settings.

Thought the OP might appreciate my more power-efficient cache-based workaround:

I’ll start playing the episode (or movie) I intend to start my evening with, and then, immediately after the file begins caching and its playback begins, I’ll back out to the menu and start playing the next episode (or 2nd movie) I intend to watch that evening. And finally, perhaps I’ll do the same with the episode after that, if I’m setting up a binge-watching session. When that’s done, I’ll return to the first episode and properly begin my evening’s viewing.

This causes both (or all three) titles to begin loading onto my Apple device concurrently, and then releases my Synology NAS to go back to sleep.

When I finish watching the first episode, the second (and perhaps also the third if I’ve gone so far) will already be residing in my Apple device’s cache and thus begin playing immediately, without Infuse needing to reach out to my server again (which by this point has long gone back into standby mode).

…

(of course, you’ll want to speed up this process, as I do, by not accessing the episode/movie you intend to begin your evening with until after initiating the pre-caching steps on all the other episodes/movies you are queuing up to watch that evening … I just thought it might make more sense to explain the method using the less-efficient sequencing)

But that doesn’t address one of his main concerns…

1 Like

Lol.

Yeah … I guess it’s fair to assume my preferred work-around won’t pass wife-muster.

1 Like

I have indeed tried this but it doesn’t resolve my issue. I maybe fishing in the wrong pond anyway, just in my half decent understanding of application development i don’t think it would be a massive overhaul to send a WOL command each time you select a title to play, then it wouldn’t matter what sleep profile anyone runs, it would just always work.

1 Like

Ultimately this is always a thing. The issue first started rearing it’s head when I put some free titles on the server for my daughter, cartoons, these are 20 minutes long but the entire episode caches in less that a minute. I had a 15 minutes sleep profile setup. Typically the server is there for us to watch 4K titles some 60-80GB in size, there isn’t the space on infuse cache to store the lot in one hit so usually I would find it is still caching from the server nearly up until the end of watching it so the server is typically awake if we go for another title.

But in the cartoon based example I started to find the server was off because the 15 minutes would pass.

It solved by just extending the sleep time to 1.5 hours but I did quite like the 15 minute shut off because 9 times out of 10 it was fine until that that my wife got upset with it :joy: watching a cartoon, well trying to watch two in a row.

1 Like

As far as I can tell from my own investigation the WOL packet is only sent when you open Infuse, in some cases the power saving settings on your fileserver may result in the your server going to sleep whilst you are watching content, content continues to play fine as it is cached by Infuse, if this happens Infuse will not wake the fileserver until you close Infuse Completely and Reopen it.

I would love that if you have WOL configured that it sends this packet not only when you open Infuse but also when you click play on a media item. This means you can set a super power saving policy on your server but if it goes to sleep before you watch the next episode or media file…Infuse wake it back up again when you watch something else…otherwise you have to close Infuse completely and re-open it.

Can’t be too hard to implement considering how well made the software already is!

Thank you!

3 Likes

It might also be possible that Infuse just isn’t waiting long enough before timing out, giving up, and sending an error.

Quite possibly our situations can be remedied by Firecore simply extending the wait time before sending the error, or modifying the current dead-ending error message to present the user with a “Try Again” button.