Wireless Keyboard & Mouse via Bluetooth?

I have a Apple wireless keyboard and mouse that I would like to be able to use with my Apple TV. Is it possible to set up bluetooth access through the ATV Flash software with a USB bluetooth adapter?

Unfortunately even with a USB dongle, the AppleTV will not support Bluetooth devices.

RF wireless devices can be used.

Hi,

What do you mean by RF wireless keyboard? Is a USB/RF dongle needed or the Apple Tv is already provided with an internal RF receiver?

Thanks for any explanation!

A RF wireless keyboard/mouse with its own USB dongle.

I use the Logitech DiNovo Edge Bluetooth keyboard/mouse with my AppleTV, and it works just fine!
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=US,EN

After you run the smart installer, you just plug the dongle it came with into the USB port on AppleTV, and then it works!

So it is possible to get a bluetooth keyboard working on AppleTV.

And as usual:
To enter text in the standard AppleTV menus, the Keyboard Magic plugin will need to be installed through
the Maintenance → Manage Plugins menu.

I tried to install the bluetooth feature with the instructions from awkwardtv but the bluetooth symbol doesn’t show up in systempreferences.

Can someone please help me with a step by step instruction?

Cheers, Karolin

I use the Logitech DiNovo Edge Bluetooth keyboard/mouse with my AppleTV, and it works just fine!
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keybo … 2&cl=US,EN

After you run the smart installer, you just plug the dongle it came with into the USB port on AppleTV, and then it works!

So it is possible to get a bluetooth keyboard working on AppleTV.

And as usual:
To enter text in the standard AppleTV menus, the Keyboard Magic plugin will need to be installed through
the Maintenance → Manage Plugins menu.

are you updated to os 3.o.2? if so please tell me how u were able to achieve this

Nope, on 3.0.1 currently. Have not bothered updating yet…

other than the directions http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_Bluetooth here what did u do to get it working?

Did not have to follow those instructions at all, it is not needed!

Since the Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard comes with its own bluetooth USB dongle, I did not have to do anything special (no bluetooth kext or services needed)!!

Run the nito smart installer to enable USB, and it will work in Firefox, Boxee, XBMC etc, then to be able to enter text in the standard AppleTV menus, the Keyboard Magic plugin will need to be installed through the Maintenance → Manage Plugins menu.

Then I just plugged the dongle into the USB port on the AppleTV, and it all worked!

I can even plug it in and out while the AppleTV is running, and it will still work! Worst case if the green bluetooth connection icon on the keyboard does not light up after a couple of seconds after connecting the dongle, I just power the keyboard off and then on on the power switch on the right hand side of the keyboard, and then it will connect. This I rarely have to do though…

On regular PC hardware, I use this keyboard for setting BIOS parameters (yes, even the BIOS will detect this keyboard), and then in Linux, it works during the install process! In linux it is detected/seen as both a Logitech USB keyboard and mouse, so I assume it does the same in OSX. No drivers needed for this wonderful keyboard (unless you still run the legacy OS called Windows).

ahh so its pre-paired with that dongle?

You have a pairing button on both the dongle and the keyboard.

So is it possible to have this work with the Apple bluetooth keyboard now - assuming some compatible USB dongle is available?

Adam

Have no idea if the Logitech dongle is compatible with the Apple keyboard. Find someone that has the keyboard/dongle and try pairing it…

If it works, and you are willing to part with some money, you can buy just the dongle on ebay.

I just installed atvflash on my Apple TV, and despite activating the Magic Keyboard app etc - even my USB keyboard isn’t doing anything!?

Did you run the smart installer? Did you reboot afterwards?

If not, you need to do that first.

Just in case I missed that - what/where is the smart installer? :slight_smile:

Adam :slight_smile:

In the nitoTV menus.

Ah yes thanks - found it :slight_smile:

u can install apple tv 2 with BT keyboard with this tutorial
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92386