Will This Software Save HD Space for iTunes Movies?

I am very interested in purchasing aTV Flash. First, I need to know that it will meet my most basic objective of “severing” my media from my laptop HD, specifically, media purchased from iTunes?

I want to leave an external HD attached to my Apple TV and store all of my movies and TV shows on it. Will this software let me do any of the following:

1. Download media from iTunes (movies/TV shows) to my laptop HD, move the files over to an external drive, delete the files from my laptop HD, connect the external drive to the Apple TV and still be able to watch those Apple DRM coated files purchased from iTunes on Apple TV off the external drive through either the normal Apple TV movies UI or some new option added through this software?

2. Download media directly from Apple TV’s version of iTunes (movies/TV shows), prevent sync of the content from Apple TV to my laptop, and still be able to watch those Apple, DRM coated files purchased from iTunes on Apple TV?

3. Download media directly from Apple TV’s version of iTunes (movies/TV shows), sync the newly downloaded content from Apple TV to my laptop, move the new file over to an external drive, delete the files from my laptop HD, connect the external drive to the Apple TV and still be able to watch those Apple, DRM coated files purchased from iTunes on Apple TV off the external drive through either the normal Apple TV movies UI or some new option added through this software?

4. Download media directly from Apple TV’s version of iTunes (movies/TV shows), sync the newly downloaded content from Apple TV to my laptop, move the new file over to an external drive, delete the files from my laptop HD, connect the external drive to the Apple TV and still be able to watch those Apple, DRM coated files purchased from iTunes on Apple TV off the external drive through either the normal Apple TV movies UI or some new option added through this software?

This is my big issue with Apple TV – you just can’t enjoy movies purchased from iTunes w/o filling up your laptop HD. Apple TV should permit me to decide where the files are stored (on laptop, Apple TV or both), but it does not. My concern is that from what I can tell, my iTunes media would not benefit from this software, only other, non-iTunes media. Am I wrong?

Little help? Pweeeasse?

PS. Options 3 and 4 are duplicates. My apologies.

What you are after isn’t really possible with or without atvflash. Atvflash WILL allow you to connect an external hard drive via USB and change iTunes syncing to that drive if you so desire.

With DRM protected files, you will be limited to using the standard AppleTV interface to watch your media. You will then need to maintain the copies on your computer hard drive. If you delete the file from your computer, it will then be deleted from the AppleTV at the next sync.

Two possible approaches…

1. google how to strip the DRM from the files and you could then copy the files to the external or internal drive (/users/frontrow/movies) and watch them using Files, NitoTV, Sapphire, or XBMC.

2. You could potentially convert the files using iTunes (right-click and choose create AppleTV version.) I’m honestly not sure if that would remove the DRM on the files or not. If it does, then you would be able to copy the files to the external drive using ftp and watch using one of the other media managers on the AppleTV that atvflash installs. You then wouldn’t need to keep a copy of the file on your computer as well as the AppleTV.