Why does some video play jerky in panning scenes?

Hello,

I just recently purchased Infuse (lifetime) and am really enjoying all of the features and beautiful UI. That said, the main reason I purchased Infuse was because I watch much of my media through my Plex server and I was dissatisfied with the playback using the default Plex player both on Apple TV/iOS as my content with 2:3 pulldown played very jerky. Infuse definitely plays this content much smoother especially noticeable in panning scenes, however none of my content especially interlaced video plays nearly as smoothly as it does when played through my cheap set top Blu-Ray player. I can’t understand what it is that my cheap set top box does that my $3,000 computer can’t duplicate? I have included the details from MediaInfo below from one of these media files.

I appreciate any help you can offer,
Chuck

General
Unique ID : Omnitted
Complete name :Omitted
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 3.02 GiB
Duration : 1 h 29 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 4 807 kb/s
Writing application : VideoReDo (Lavf56.25.101)
Writing library : VideoReDo (Lavf56.25.101)

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings : BVOP
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Codec ID : V_MPEG2
Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 519 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 7 500 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.436
Time code of first frame : 00:00:26;07
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
Stream size : 2.83 GiB (94%)
Default : No
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.601
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 123 MiB (4%)
Language : English
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Since your frame rate May be part of the issue you may find some answers in this thread Judder on panning shots

Unfortunately I’ve already made the setting changes in my Apple TV and don’t notice a difference when playing this content.

Are you using an ATV4 or ATV4K? Does this happen with all videos like this, or just a few?

If you are in the mood to send in a sample, we can try and replicate the issue here.

I have the same issue using ATV4K, whether playing 1080 or 4k content- when scene is panning (horizontal or vertical) the image is jumpy (whether displayed on tv or projector). It is minor but very frustrating. The issue does not occur when playing the same files through the LG tv’s media player, old 4K player. All files sources from NAS and have cat6 cabling throughout.

One thing to check is that you have both ‘Match Dynamic Range’ and ‘Match Frame Rate’ enabled in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content.

With these enabled, the Apple TV will be able to output 24Hz video which should allow for much smoother playback when viewing film based content.

More info on how this feature works can be found here.

Thanks James. I did see that suggestion on another post and already tried it but it didn’t solve the problem. I have the same issue with vlc but it’s much worse on that app. Also you mention film content- this occurs with any sort of video with panning not just films.

What tv do you have? You might need to enable dejudder on your TV.

1 Like

After starting this thread, I tried everything I could think of to solve this issue and finally stumbled onto the problem. In my case, it actually had nothing to do with Infuse but rather the TV settings themselves. Even though I had turned off all post processing filters and features, the TV was using a preset that apparently used some motion processing after all. After switching to a manual profile and making sure ALL of these so called features were off, the problem vanished and panning scenes are silky smooth. If you’ve tried everything else as I did, I would suggest taking a deeper look at the TV settings…

2 Likes

It happens on both my tv (LG) and projector (Sony). They both have motion settings so I’ll check that out