Which really simple NAS for Apple TV 4 and Infuse

Hello, I’m brand new to this so please use small words! I have a big collection of 1080p mp4 and m4v movies on a 4 TB hard drive on a Mac Pro that I used to stream on iTunes to an Apple TV4. I’d like to cut out the middle man (Mac Pro) and just stream using infuse and a NAS connected to my router. I don’t need any special features, just open infuse and stream mp4s. Can you recommend an inexpensive NAS that works with infuse and Apple TV4? I’d prefer one with a hard drive preinstalled for minimal fuss. I had considered the WD WDBVXC0040HWT-NESN and the Buffalo LinkStation 210 . Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I’d strongly recommend you stay away from the WD MyCloud Home. There have been tons of issues with that and people running Infuse. Just as a easy fix, have you checked to see if your router supports an external USB drive for sharing?

1 Like

No, my router does not support file sharing via the usb “at this time, but perhaps in the future with a firmware update.” (I love how commital that is)

I use and recommend QNAP, it works great with Infuse and ATV, though there are strong suggestions for Synology amongst comparison sites etc.
Don’t think you would go wrong with either.

FYI:

I have synology and it works great. Since you don’t need on-device encoding you don’t need to look for those advanced models. Do make sure you have at least 2GB of ram though and gigabit ports. You probably are looking at $200-$450 for 2 bay to 4 bay. Also considering getting drives that have plenty of extra space for more content and consider the cost of raiding them. It is always easier to add one drive later than replacing 4 so don’t get 4 1TB drives or anything like that. You can look at the power being used to as that could add up over the years and make the difference between a cheapest model and one step up.

1 Like

Great advice, further to that make sure you get designated NAS drives, not the standard spinning spindle drive.

Really appreciated- I was wondering if I really need a RAID, Gigabyte ethernet ports, or a large RAM. I only stream HD movies- right now the MAC pro with a standard disk drive is doing just find (but getting long in the teeth)

For a straight forward home NAS a single bay with 4GB of ram and gigabit Ethernet is fine.

I found a website that really helped me dig through the muck and it’s pretty well done.

You’d probably be happy with the Buffalo LinkStation or similar NAS.

Just be forewarned, what you think is MAMMOTH amounts of storage is really a drop in the bucket. I remember trying to figure out why anyone would need more than a 400k single sided floppy for storage… Stick with a disk made for NAS applications the Seagate Ironwolf series or the WE Red Plus series are favorites in the NAS world. A bit more than a standard drive but worth it.

Prime day deals on WD red drives, up to 14TB

:+1:Thanks

Synology 4 bay NAS with Seagate ironwolf drives. It’ll handle all your streaming needs and give you room to expand into other areas (photo backup, computer/time machine backup/etc).

That doesn’t really fit in the “Simple NAS” category. There is a reasonable amount of set up and understanding of networking to get it dialed in.

I know since I’m as we speak (or type) in that very process with a DS920+. Very nice but not a “Plug & Play” type of device.

The play series are fairly simple to setup.

I have a Synology DS218+. It’s a simple 2-bay model. I believe it’s being replaced now by the DS220+ model. It was test-winner at The Wirecutter website. That’s the reason for my purchase.

Works well. I even do other stuff on it like run Plex server (which works well with Infuse) and run Torrent stuff as well.(you can basically offload a lot of server tasks like these to the Synology NAS).

I don’t think there is a difference in setup regarding Synology “play” and other models. I myself have a play and setting up and maintaining a NAS is a hobby in itself. IMHO there is no “really simple NAS”.

1 Like

Having read your message, I wonder why you think the Mac is unnecessary. With what will you process the movies and file them onto whatever server you choose? I, like you, have an extensive iTunes movie library, but I also now have a parallel InFuse library on an HD on a ‘server’ Mac that provides Time Machine storage for all my Macs. Having InFuse alleviates the effort to convert video files into iTunes-compatible MP4s. Although I do have a WD MyCloud Home on my network, it serves only as a secondary Time Machine backup (All my Macs backup to two or three drives independent of itself for total backup redundancy (one backup to the ‘server’ and one to the MyCloud).) I prefer drives connected to a Mac which thus allows effective performance monitoring of the drives with DriveDX. Experience over that past 35 years has taught me that a single backup is insufficient. With single backups, data loss is inevitable.

I have 4 TB of mp4 movies (ripped from my blue ray colllection) on an aging MAC pro with a 5 TB hard drive- thinking I’ll just get an imac without a huge drive and offload the media server function to a NAS that is always on- the new mac pro is out of reach financially and no other mac can be upgraded to a 5-10 TB drive. I don’t like the mac connected to external hard drive route- more power consumption and I know I’lll be in the theatre trying to start a movie someday and realize either the computer or external hard drive is off. From what I understand a NAS consumes little power when not streaming and can always be left on

I was in a similar situation. I had an old 2008 Mac Pro with a bunch of drives and after switching to a NAS my power bill went down.

Good idea, I just took my iMac out of the server role and went to a NAS for that. Not going to look back. I know you said you’re new to this so don’t rush into it. Make sure you have a pretty good handle on what is involved in running a NAS and it’s set up. There’s a website I’ve been using that has been pretty helpful and has a ton of videos too that really helped both with my choice (DS920+) as well as setting things up for my needs.

If you don’t need a whole lot a 2bay NAS set up as “Just a Bunch Of Disks” (JBOD) would probably get you where you want to be but make sure to think what you may want in the near future with file sizes growing daily and speeds increasing regularly.
Good luck!

Right, all good discussion. I only talk from experience of having lost data that was lost forever. Granted, a media library is not critical to life, but rebuilding could be time consuming. I have deployed a Catalina-loaded MacMini as my server. On the media side I have two 10TB external drives - one being the primary and the other being the backup (daily Carbon Copy Cloner). There are two file folders - one being iTunes and one being Infuse. Together they currently have 6+ TB of movies, TV shows, and music. Only a few movies are in both libraries. This Mac Mini has another couple of attached drives that serves as backup media for itself (excluding the media libraries) and a several other Macs. The MyCloud offers a third backup location for the super important data. Time Machine does a great job of keeping those backups current. The media library is, of course, fully accessible by my AppleTVs, audio systems (via Airport Expresses), and our Macs and iOS devices. My video format preference is .mkv, 1080p, full surround (DTS if possible). Except for the laptops & iOS devices, all other computers are wired (Ethernet). All switches are 10/100/1000MB capable. Primary viewing is via a ceiling-mounted Epson projector with a large section of wall painted to serve as the screen. One of my current-generation Apple TVs feeds a Yamaha receiver with HDMI switching and distributed speakers. Other inputs are from the cableco TIVO receiver and BluRay player. This was not written to impress, but it goes with the moderator’s comment of looking forward to where one may be, and building to those future needs. Tearing apart and rebuilding from scratch is time consuming, expensive, and is often deferred uncomfortably. Best wishes for your successful implementation.