which is better SMB / SMB2 / SMB3 / NFS / AFP?

Hi,

my NAS (Asustor AS-202TE) has support for several network protocols to connect from external machines. I’m wondering which option between SMB / SMB2 / SMB3 / NFS / AFP is better suitable to use with Infuse.

Thanks

I prefer SMB (in general, obviously the higher versions are better).
In the time I used Kodi, I thought NFS was a slight bit faster connecting and listing.
No experience with AFP tho.

Infuse is not gonne work with AFP.
This is the reason: " Apple will begin migrating from its own legacy Apple Filing Protocol to Microsoft’s SMB2 in an effort to enhance performance, security and cross platform file sharing."
So AFP is off the table…

Infuse currently supports SMB2 (and a fallback to SMB1 if needed).

Support for SMB3 is something we’ll be adding in the future. AFAIK, the only thing that supports SMB3 right now is Windows 10.

What version is in OSX EI Capitan?, thanks.

SMB2

Linux also supporte SMB3.

What about nfs?Infuse will be support it?

Nobody has mentioned WebDAV (https). I use that for iOS app media players and file managers (Infuse, nPlayer, Documents, Transmission, etc etc there are tons). Seems to work really well. Any reason this should not be used on Apple TV? Right now due to bug I’m stuck using SMB on Apple TV.

Doesn’t El Capitan default for SMB3, the same as Windows.

How is it now with SMB3 in Infuse?

Earlier versions of Infuse had issues with SMB and OSX, but as far as I can tell all protocols offer the same performance in the latest version.

Try either SMB or FTP, and if you have issues try another. It all depends on your particular setup.

I’m experiencing an issue with Infuse (ver. 4) on the Apple TV (4 generation) while trying to configure a shared volume from a QNAP NAS. I have Samba (SMB) and uPNP for service discovery enabled. Has any been able to resolve this issue? So far I have re-configured the NAS to use versions 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1 of SMB with no success.

‘Better’ is rather subjective. For local streaming (e.g. Apple TV or iOS device on the same network), SMB makes sense. FTP is more lightweight and faster in principle, but usually additional setup steps are necessary because the FTP server is not activated on default on most NAS, while SMB usually is. Unfortunately, Infuse does not support NFS, which combines the low overhead and speed of FTP with the ease of use of SMB. SMB is ‘fast enough’, though. I’ve tested some very high bitrate videos (~50Mbps combined bitrate) with Infuse 4.1 on my Apple TV 4 (wired setup) and never experienced stuttering of any sort.

For mobile streaming (iOS device on a different network, accessing the NAS from outside of the local network), WebDAV (HTTPS) from the protocols supported by Infuse makes most sense. SMB won’t work over the internet, FTP without encryption (FTPS -> not supported by Infuse) is rather insecure and not feasible outside of the local network, too. SFTP is a security risk as well, because most NAS only allow administrator users access via SSH and hence SFTP (QNAP uses the same port for both even, for example). Plus, you need to allow SSH access from the internet, that’s quite a wide door opened just for some streaming of media. With WebDAV, you can restrict access to a ‘normal’ user, e.g. with read-only rights to a share of your choice. It’s more secure and reliable.

Synology NAS running DSM 6.0 supports SMB3. I’m not sure what is to be gained with this though.