Which criteria does Infuse use to select the displayed audio information in the details view page?

So far my impression was that Infuse just displays the first audio track or maybe the one that has been tagged as default (always the same for my files), but I just added a movie where I converted the DTS-HD Mono track to FLAC 1.0 to save some space and I also passed through two commentary tracks (DD 2.0).

I was expecting Infuse to show “FLAC 1.0” as audio information in the details page but it actually shows “Dolby Digital 2.0” despite the Mono track being the first track and being tagged as the default.

Any insight into this would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

It probably is showing the track with the most channels.

Yeah that seems to be the case, although I must say I don’t really understand the reasoning behind it. Would it no be the most logical behaviour to display the default audio track?

Infuse will in fact show specs for the highest quality audio track, which usually means the audio track with the highest channel count.

The reasoning behind this is that popular apps like Handbrake will default to adding two audio tracks when converting files. One 2.0 AAC audio track (tagged as default) and a second 5.1 Dolby track.

We originally displayed specs for the first and/or default track, but this led to many files appearing as 2.0 Stereo, instead of 5.1 Dolby which led to a fair amount of negative feedback.

Note: The 1.0 FLAC should should be auto-selected when playing the actual file.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Yeah the FLAC track is played by default which is definitely the more important part! I’m surprised about what you reported regarding the negative feedback in the past but probably I’m just in the minority here, I fine tune every of my encodes with the highest quality track as the first one and tagged as default. I can see how other users could have a more automated approach by just passing the files through handbrake and ending up with the down mixed stereo track as default (which would be a shame since that track would be auto-selected in these cases or not?).

It’s not too big of a deal but it can actually happen with a hand full of older movies that often have a mono audio track and commentary tracks in stereo (often Dolby Digital 2.0 and definitely not the “highest quality” track in these cases I think everybody would agree on).

Maybe the behaviour you changed in the past could be brought back as an option in the settings? In my opinion it is the more correct approach and I would definitely prefer it that way, but it’s also not a major problem and probably more of a niche request! :slight_smile: