When's the next beta release?

When is the next beta release available for testing? and what is your release schedule?

Waiting for SMB support

Beta5 should be available within the next week (or so) and will support SMB streaming.

Hang in there.  :)

Brilliant! I'm dying to try Media Player on my ATV2 but I can't without SMB share functionality.

I can access SMB shares using XBMC but I'm sure my wife would find the Media Player easier to access and understand (she's not very technically-minded and the simple ATV2 interface is ideal for casual users like her).

[quote="gwpurnell"]

Brilliant! I'm dying to try Media Player on my ATV2 but I can't without SMB share functionality.

I can access SMB shares using XBMC but I'm sure my wife would find the Media Player easier to access and understand (she's not very technically-minded and the simple ATV2 interface is ideal for casual users like her).

[/quote]

Have to agree. XMBC has a very clunky user interface. MediaPlayer has got it just right. Like the old saying, KISS - keep it simple, stupid!

What other changes can we expect in beta5 other than SMB support?

Agreed.  If Media Player reaches a point that it performs similarly and as well as Plex without the need for running a media server on another computer I will be a happy man.

In addition to SMB support you can expect improved video playback (HD and SD), UI enhancements, and a handful of other goodies.

[quote="james"]

In addition to SMB support you can expect improved video playback (HD and SD), UI enhancements, and a handful of other goodies.

[/quote]

can you cure the green line that shows at the bottom of the picture on the media player :)

Fixed as well.  :)

Sounds great!  Looking forward to it!

I'm already happily using the Media Player streaming videos from my QNAP, but any improvements will be fantastic!

Perfect, I just installed aTV Flash to watch a DVD that I ripped to my Mac: it's a video_ts folder inside another folder that has a .dvdmedia extension. aTV Flash shows the Cover and description just right and is able to show the DVD's menu and play the movie. The only gripe at the moment is that playback is too choppy to fully enjoy it, but I hope the improvements to SD playback will fix that. Great product so far, thanks!

[quote="gwpurnell"]

[/quote]

I'm sorry and I couldn't disagree more...  No need to be technically minded at all. Let me explain.

I use XBMC on both the aTV Original and aTV 2 and find the interface to be most favorable, even elegant using the T! skin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlUiYhPQLU&feature=related 

[[wysiwyg_imageupload:59:]]

as compared to the boring basic horizontal apple menu. It reminds me of the old DOS Saber menu.  I have exported all iTunes music to MP3, Music Video's and DVD Movies in the library. The only reason I use apples menu on aTV 2 is to watch Netflix but this will be a thing of the past once the Netflix plugin is done for XBMC.

The original Apple TV with an external 250gb USB drive to store the DVD rips works for both apple and XBMC. Just import the media folder into XBMC and viola. The current XBMC on aTV 2 doesn't do SMB streaming video yet (it is BETA) but hope this is fixed soon. I have all my DVD ISO's on a dual drive NAS array making both a very versatile appliance. Not your simple KISS interface for sure but then why bother if your not going to take full advantage of the hardware to create a rich enjoyable experience ?

I hope the new release has a few un-anounced "specials" included.. 8)

I actually agree with you about XBMC and its interface. I love it!

My wife, however, is a bit of a technophobe and if it takes too many (in actuality, not many) clicks to reach a final goal she will "harumph" and protest. I'm sure she will eventually feel comfortable using XBMC but it will take her a while when she is reluctant to even try.

If she could click on a 'Media Player' icon on the ATV2 interface that immediately listed files on a share, she would be much more likely to use the device. One more click might be OK. On XBMC there are four clicks before accessing files on a share (XBMC  => videos => files => share); so far she has proved reluctant to plunge in and find XBMC's many treasures.

I'm positive that Media Player will be more to her taste and she'll be more likely to use it.

I think I will probably use both; Media Player for stuff on shares (if its performance is as good as, or better, than XBMC's) and XBMC for iPlayer and other internet streams. I'll reserve judgment though until I can try Media Player out. I need Beta5 SMB share capability first though.

Come on you guys at Firecore, quit teasin' - give us Beta5.

----------------------------------------

With regard to your mention of a Netflix add-on for XBMC - There is a Netflix add-on called XBMCclicks, if memory serves me well. I can't vouch for its useability or even if it works. I live in the UK so I can't use services such as Hulu or Netflix.

Also, I use the reFocus skin without any fanart or wallpapers, just text menus, and it is still beautiful. Images will load though when an item is selected, so there's not a complete dearth of eye candy. It is also very fast and uses (on average) about 20MB less system resource to run than Confluence.

I realise it's just about lunchtime over there but here in Scotland the sun is starting to dim on another day without Beta5.

Come on guys, I'm almost salivating at the prospect of running video from SMB shares in hi-def (at the moment I can only do it with the Nintendo Wii at 480 pixels or through XBMC - although XBMC's a bit temperamental with hi-def).

OK! I've decided to start a chant. Feel free to join me.

BEE-TAH-FIVE!

BEE-TAH-FIVE!

BEE-TAH-FIVE! ... etc.

Ha ha.

We've got a few loose ends to tie up, but it looks like we're on track for a release of Beta5 tomorrow (Thursday).

I’m glad you took my chant comment with the humour intended. Honestly, take all the time you need to tweak things; I’m sure any delay will only result in a better release. I am still itching to try Media Player though and the positive comments from those that have is a very good sign.

Are we still on course for a release today? My poor old ticker can hardly hardly stand the suspense.

Hmm, I updated to Beta5 but do not see any improvement wrt choppiness of the DVD that i’m playing… Any idea why?