What is the colorbit of ATV's output?

some player’s output colorbit:
oppo 203 is 12bit
egreat A5 is 12bit
himedia Q5 Pro is 10bit
my TV don’t display colorbit when using ATV4
so I guess it’s 8bit?
can Infuse change that?

This thread has more info on the various Apple TV output options.

However, if you are using an ATV4 (and not an ATV4K) then the Apple TV will be limited to 8-bit output.

I have atv4 and 4k both
when sdr video playback with atv4k
the output will be 8bit or 12bit?
for atv4
can it output 12bit with tvos 11.3?

i tried oppo 203
its output is always 12bit, any media format

If you want the Apple TV to remain in HDR mode when playing SDR content, then yes you can disable the ‘Match Dynamic Range’ option found in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content.

Note: You won’t gain anything quality-wise by having the Apple TV in HDR mode when playing SDR content, so allowing the Apple TV to switch to SDR mode is usually recommended.

i know that
my question is the sdr output
oppo 203 is 12bit

Its 8 Bit, the native Bit depth of the video.

However, it seems that the ATV always outputs SDR content at 8 Bit, even in case it is 10 Bit.
This clearly is wrong.
There are a few UHD BDs out there which use SDR/BT.709 like the Texas chain saw massacre 1974:

Disc Title: THE_TEXAS_CHAIN_SAW_MASSACRE
Disc Size: 49,783,891,976 bytes
Protection: AACS2
BD-Java: No
Playlist: 00003.MPLS
Size: 49,180,637,184 bytes
Length: 1:23:22.497
Total Bitrate: 78.65 Mbps
Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 40006 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / SDR / BT.709 /

I hope you can fix this James because if Apple needs to fix it I see zero chance of this happening.

Apps like Infuse can only switch to video output modes that are supported by the Apple TV - so unfortunately switching to SDR 10-bit will not be possible unless Apple adds support in a future tvOS update.

Sorry. :frowning:

Damn, I was afraid of that.

Seeing how most people are simply not able to comprehend the 24.000 fps situation over on AVS forum I dont feel like opening a thread over there again in order to get awareness.

Dont you have connections to Apple engineers directly so you can push it? Otherwise I see zero chance of it happening.
That said, its extremely low effort for them to add this as everything needed is already in place.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.