What does “Recently Added” mean to you?

When you see the term “Recently Added” in Infuse, what do you expect to see there?

I expect to see latest files added to my library.

What would be even better is if the recently added could be divided into more categories (like the PLex libraries): Recently added in TV Shows, Movies, Kids Movies etc. But at this stage we only have Shows & Films… I imagine because those are also the only categories we have in the library?

2 Likes

I would also want to see items most recently added to my library, not based on the modified date of the file. But, in general, the date of the file is about equivalent. The biggest problem I see is if you have to rebuild your library for some reason then the modified date is more helpful. You might lose the information of when something was added to your library. Then it might just be alphabetical or random or something.

2 Likes

A fully populated list, including all items in my library (up to the predefined maximum number of entries), in reverse chronological order of file modified date (most recent new addition to library first).

A recently added list with only two items in it (if I didn’t add much in the last couple times opening the app) is not at all helpful.

1 Like

I expect to see what it says, recently added and in the order they were added.
If not this than the heading should be changed to recently modified or something like that.

2 Likes

Everything added within the last x days /weeks…

2 Likes

Could you help me understand the reason to use or consider the files last modified date instead of the having the recently added list be solely based on the date that Infuse first adds the file to its library?

I’m sure we all have our unique ways of using Infuse for our entertainment so I’m trying to understand where this would come into play.

If you did have to rebuild then the “last modified date” would most likely be the best data to go by but realistically when we’re looking at the “recently added” is that list critical to the use of Infuse? Wouldn’t it be a minor inconvenience if we were to lose the recently added list to start at zero entries for the “recently added” and build it from that point on?

I’m trying to get an understanding of how in day to day use of Infuse other users use the “recently added” list.

First reason is I’m still frequently rebuilding my database(s — both Apple TVs, independently).

I need to do this because when currently streaming television series complete, I move them to a different folder on my NAS; and as I’m also steadily upgrading the quality of the files in my collection by seeking out better sources and utilizing more efficient codecs (I’m striving to eliminate all my legacy 480/720/1080/AVC/H264 content and replace it with either 1080 or 2160 x256), those too get moved to different folders.

Often the filenames will change (because I append coded symbols to the ends of the filenames that tell me at a glance a video’s resolution, codec, and file size) … or I’ll need to change them because someone at TMDB renamed the title or changed its release year and broke the scraping again.

Because Infuse doesn’t really offer an easy way to refresh metadata for individual items or folders when you both rely on scrapes from TMDB but also prefer to override what you are allowed to with local .nfo files … you’re often left having to completely rebuild the library or else stuff just stops working.

I want Infuse to pull the file modified date because that way I know my list will show both the titles most recently added to my collection, and the titles I most recently upgraded — and I like to see both.

On the other hand, when I simply move or rename a folder that may contain tens, dozens, or perhaps hundreds of unique video files — without actually changing any of those files, I usually prefer not to see all that folder’s untouched content show up as “Recently Added”.

If Infuse just uses the date a title was originally scraped, my newly updated titles might not show up.

In addition, since all different versions of a title scrape as one (1080p and 4K, SDR and HDR, theatrical cut or extended cut) … if Infuse ignores modified date and only uses a ‘first time scraped’ date, my upgraded titles or newly acquired alternate cuts won’t show.

If Infuse instead used the file’s created-on date, you’ll get stuff sorted by when you (or someone) first created the file, and not when you added it to your library.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! I’m one of the “basic” users I guess since I much prefer to see the recently added as what is the most recent to be added to my Infuse library. I’ve been bitten a few times with adding files that may have an older mod date since I may have ripped them a while back but didn’t add it to Infuse for a period of time due to storage space. Then when added they never shows in the recently added list so they get overlooked.

I can see how both would be a benefit for how your managing your library too.

:+1:t3: No worries.

Another thing I use a lot is the Filters by Release Date, so I can limit my scroll to just the very newest releases. Unfortunately (newest 24?), the furthest left tab always seems to be limited to just 1 more title than is visible in the scroll bar. I wish it would at least include all titles in the current year (or this year and the one previous, if its still early in the year).

Picking by decades narrows things quite a bit, but still leaves many hundreds of titles for those of us with bigger libraries. :man_shrugging:t2:

select * from content order by date_added desc limit 50;

Forgive someone who was classically trained in vacuum tube theory.

What does this mean?

It’s a sql query that selects records (in this case added video content) and sorts them by date from newest to oldest but limits the results to 50. A very light humor programmer joke that also adequately answers the question posed by the thread.

And by “newest” do you mean file creation date or date first seen by Infuse?

That’s what I’m curious about. Just trying to understand why some prefer file date and others prefer first seen by.

Date added would be date date/time that the content was added to whatever system Infuse is reading. I use Plex so it would be the date that Plex added it to their database.

To me the file date means nothing, and could change just by moving the content around or restoring a backup.

1 Like

Infuse (not talking about using a Plex share) currently uses the file last modified/created date for the “recently added” sort. It would seem to be more accurate to use the date the file was first seen by Infuse instead but that’s why I’m asking for others input. :wink:

Thanks for the input!

I think that works, but only if you never have to rebuild your system or change anything. For instance if you got a new router and your IP address changed, you would have to re-add your share and then everything would be considered new. Or if you change your folder structure, or if you move things to a new storage device like upgrading your NAS or some thing. All of those would result in messed up recently added.

As I mentioned before, the order between date added to infuse and modified date is the same for me. I would be interested to know how it would be different for others.

Moving a file from one drive to another doesn’t seem to change the modified/created date for me, at least on the Mac and Synology NAS. (and WD MyCloud NAS)

Right. It think that is why it would be better to use modified date. Otherwise moving to a different share would show up in recently added. You can always update the modified date to be more recent in your case.

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I don’t think that using the modified date so on the outside chance you have to redo a library makes more sense than having Infuse go by the first date it sees a file.

Even if you did have to rebuild it’d only affect the last what is it, 30 files added that are shown in the “Recently Added” list? After that then you’d still be ahead of the game using the first seen by Infuse date.

Also, a user shouldn’t have to always check and possibly adjust the last modified date of a file before they add it to the library. That’s an unnecessary step just to add new videos.