What causes the atv2 to crash xbmc?

I was playing a show on project free tv and 1 channel and sometimes it would stop to buffer then crash. Any ideas?

I get this quite often. I checked my logs and it appears to be due to the low amount of RAM on the Apple TV; sometimes HD streaming on XBMC uses this up quickly, causing the Apple TV to crash.

It would be great if there was a fix for this.

Regards,
Matthew Robinson.

The Apple TV “reset” or “kickout” to the Apple Menu is one of the most frustrating aspects of using the Apple TV.

As was noted, this seems to be a function of the ATV’s underpowered RAM memory.

Certain sites (like KHAN ACADEMY) will cause a reset 100% of the time and simply cannot be played on the ATV.

Other links, almost always High Def links, will be “hit or miss,” kicking the user out on a first attempt, but playing flawlessly on a second or third.

As many have noted, the issue of system resets and XBMC “kick outs” have increased with the introduction of GOTHAM. While the Gotham version of XBMC works well on many of my other XBMC devices, including my MAC, it is a mini-disaster on the ATV2 with kickouts and resets galore.

While a return to 12.3 doesn’t solve ALL the reset issues on the Apple TV, the experience is still much, much, better on the old FRODO 12.3. Links that will kick you immediately out in 13.2… or will play for a few minutes before doing the same, will play fine in 12.3!

What has been recently perplexing to me are the vast number of kickouts that occur simply upon entering XBMC from the Apple desktop. Without even touching my remote, my Apple TV will frequently reset as soon as I boot into XBMC. Very frustrating!

I honestly don’t recall this issue – which now exists on every version of XBMC on the Apple TV.

Are others experiencing the same?

I’m on FRODO 12.3 and it’s been a long time since I’ve had trouble playing videos. I do tend to stick with the SD quality movies. mostly because they download faster w/o buffering.

I had a feeling it was the ram. If its the xbmc version then lets see what happens in kodi since it should be out soon

Re: What causes the atv2 to crash xbmc?
I’m on FRODO 12.3 and it’s been a long time since I’ve had trouble playing videos. I do tend to stick with the SD quality movies. mostly because they download faster w/o buffering.

What app or rep are you using to view tv and movies? I would like to try using the ATV1 with the old FireCore install, but I’ve not been able to get anything (Mashup, etc.) to work on Frodo recently.

Basically I use seasonpass and jb 5.3 and run the config wizard.

Any mods with ideas?

yeah unfortunately gotham 13.x is using 60% of the ram without even playing a video. This is an extremely high load on the system but in the same breath your apple tv is now at least 3 years old and is kinda out of date with what else is being offered on the market these days.

check out shop.raw-media.ca, there is going to be a black friday/cyber monday sale

I wonder if it has anything to do with the config wizard installing unnecessary apps that i don’t usually use. I typically only use 5.

i don’t use the wizard, i find it causes more harm than good, so definitely could be part of the problem

I was wondering what would cause the Config Wizard to cause problems?

As far as I can see it just installs a lot of addons, could it be that having too many addons causes slowdown? or does the wizard also mess with settings that cause trouble?

Would uninstalling unneeded addons help?

I would say all the apps that the config wizard loads causes the atv2 to overload.