What are the optimal Infuse settings?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before. I’ve had a quick look through the forum and can’t see a post about this. I’m looking for the optimal Apple TV/Infuse settings to give me the nest quality.

Here is my set-up:
Synology DS-216+ii NAS
Media is bluray rips in m2ts or ISO format
Apple TV 4 (not 4K…yet)
Samsung 65 inch KS-8000 UHD (professionally calibrated)
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/Play1 surrounds (tuned using the Sonos app)

Would love to hear what would be the optimal settings.

Regards

Rene

Not sure I can help a lot but I will try.
Infuse should play your files well without tweaking anything. That is at least my experience.

A few recommendations though:

• Share your media through a direct, conversion-free way such as SMB/NFS/SFTP (your NAS certainly has those options) rather then DLNA or Plex.
  • Leave audio output to auto in Infuse (if I understood well, Infuse will decode audio and send uncompressed LPCM audio through HDMI, up to 7.1 and 24bit, so you get the best possible audio quality)
  • Leave the Apple TV’s video output on 60Hz unless you watch European TV content (usually encoded at 25Hz - Movies on blu-rays are on 24Hz)
    …and buy an Apple TV 4K. You will immediately get 24Hz video output (which is the frame rate of all movies on Blu-Rays and elsewhere), plus free upgrades to 4K HDR for some movies you might have bought on iTunes (including digital versions of blu-rays you purchased), as well as full HDR support in Infuse very soon (version 5.5.5 I believe).

Hope this helps and have a great day,
Jérôme.
PS : I just found the support article about audio options here: Audio Options (tvOS) – Firecore

1 Like

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Just on your comment about the Apple TV 4k, I’m on the fence about buying one. I’ve read a lot of negative reviews especially around frame-rate switching (or lack thereof) and the less than optimal up-scaling of non-$K content.

What’s your experience using it?

Rene

Yep. There are at least 2 threads about this.

My experience (with my HDR10 TV) is very good:

• 24p video does play smoothly even when the Apple TV is set to 60Hz, (that should depend on TV and the settings used)
  • SDR video looks fine with the Apple TV’s output set to HDR,
  • HDR10/Dolby Vision videos look awesome on my HDR10, but not Dolby Vision, capable TV
    There is no automatic mode switching, but you can manually select the one you want (HDR/SDR - your TV does not have Dolby Vision-, 60Hz/50Hz/24Hz - for 4K) and you can select 4:2:2 chroma subsampling if your cable supports it (HDMI 2.0 if I understand well), 4:2:0 otherwise.

I am quite happy with Apple’s approach, which seem in particular to accommodate HDR10 and Dolby Vision as well as SDR and convert it so that it looks best on the particular TV it is connected to.

From what I read, KS Samsung TVs have excellent HDR tone mapping, so you should be happy with the image quality too.

Very happy on my side.
Just waiting for Infuse to support HDR, which should be very soon :slight_smile:

The optimal settings for Infuse is going to depend on the speed of your network speed and drive share.

Apple TV network will run th fastest if you have an 802.11ac wifi connection. Ethernet LAN is possible but your speed will be capped before reaching 90-100 mbps. I recommend downloading the Ooklah’s ‘Speedtest’ app for tvOS / iOS. This will allow you to see what speed you are actually working with.

As for connecting to you NAS drive. I personally find that SMB or NFS work best. NFS fetches metadata & loads faster than SMB, but it requires you to grant permissions that make NFS a littl lss secure than SMB. So I prefer to stick with SMB.

As long as your network is fast enough (75-150 mbps), you really shouldnt have any problems streaming Blu-ray files.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Keep in mind that Ookla only checks internet speeds, not LAN or WiFi speeds which are where your concerns are for files on a NAS.

You are absolutely right! For me though, the bottleneck issue is metadata fetching - its the slowest part in the process, when you have thousands of movies. Video playback has only become an issue for me when Infuse is in the middle of fetching hundreds of titles from TMDb or TVDb.

Any reason for this specifically?

I am just starting out with Infuse, but I shared my library via DLNA/Plex. Is their performance gains just sharing the file locations instead? My library is about 2900 movies and about 9500 tv episodes. All stored on a 36TB unRAID server on my local network.

Yes!! There are definitely performance gains to be had when using SMB / NFS vs. DLNA/UPnP (Plex Server).

Its actually been a while since I used a DLNA share with Infuse (maybe since Infuse v4), so it is possible that support for DLNA connections has improved, but from what I understand it still pales in comparison to SMB or NFS connections.

SMB & NFS are both much faster at loading folders and starting video playback. The most important advantage though is the faster speeds when fetching metadata, which is probably important to you since you have such a large sized library…

If you originally went with DLNA instead of SMB because you wanted to go with the one that was simpler to setup - then I would recommend trying out NFS first. In many instances (like with my own media center) NFS is actually even faster at fetching than SMB. They are both pretty darn fast for me though, NFS is just scary fast!

However, I personally still use SMB for everyone of my shares, because I prefer the more customized user permissions that SMB allows you to set. They are both great options over DLNA, so try them out and see which you prefer.

Hope that helps!

One reason is that with a SMB or NFS file server, Infuse gets the unaltered file as stored on your server.
With DLNA or Plex server, there is an additional layer, and there can be transcoding too, which can cause errors or quality loss.

1 Like

I made the switch over to SMB, thank you for that. Does infuse really do library scans every time you launch the app? My movie library takes like 3 minutes to load (2900 movies) while its “processing” although honestly I have never seen it not “processing.” How long would one expect the library to build in? And once its built will it be quicker?

Loading the library should be instantaneous.
Are you accessing the library or the shares themselves?
To access the library, you have to use the “library” icon ! :slight_smile:

Infuse scans the library at least once a day (maybe more?)
You should check your library’s status in the settings/library
There you can add to/remove folders from the library, force a scan, and see how many movies/shows/other are in your library.

are their ways to not use the Library?

How I set it up:

1. added SMB
  2. Added favorites to the folders I needed
  3. Let Library build…
  4. Maybe its still building? Its been about 12 hours (2900 movies, 9500 episodes).

But whether I use the library icon or the favorites icon it takes 2-3 minutes.

What does it say when you go to settings/library?

I will take a look tonight when I get home from work. thanks!

Some more Tipps:
For my Setup the fastest connection is NFS :slight_smile:
If you use a AppleTV 4K => use a Ethernet-Connection!
If you use a AppleTV 4 => use Wifi (because it’s faster than the Ethernet Connection!)

On my Setup with Synology NAS, AppleTV 4K, I get a much faster Library Scan than before with AppleTV 4…
And the Movie-Playback starts after only 1 Second or less :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for this. I am on the 4K device, using Ethernet. I suck with NFS. I am not sure why, I just do. unRAID allows both NFS and SMB, but no matter what I do I can never get devices to connect via NFS. Infuses sees it, but can’t connect. Most likely its because linux is evil. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:
NFS authorizations are by IP address. So you should probably assign fixed IP addresses to your devices then authorize them in your NAS’s software.

Do you use a NAS?

I have had also problems to connect to my NAS via NSF, but I followed a Guide from James to setup and then it’s working perfectly :slight_smile:

Look here:

The 2. Posting from James :slight_smile: