I’m connecting through Samba and have “View by filename” on. I know Doctor Who is an exception for listing and getting metadata. I have a lot of series on my server where I’ve just used the name and episode title, like “Adam_12-S01E05” and don’t have episode names in titles. At some point I’m going to write a program that will go through and take such episode names and add the episode title to it, too. So far, other than Doctor Who, having the S0xE0x form in the name has been fine for pulling up the metadata. I use View by Filename since, with the name and metadata, that gives me what I need. (I find it frustrating that the metadata displayed does not include the episode title when View by Filename is on.) When I get that program done so it adds episode titles, I’ll add the option to include the year in the file name. (I also have some shows I ripped a long time ago where I don’t use episode numbers, but have things like, “SeriesName-S01D01T04.” As long as those are sorted in order, my program would easily be able to use that sequence to match file and episode number.)
With all that logic, that’s also why I use my own naming convention for specials. I have a lot of British shows on my server (all ripped from legal DVDs or BDs), and many of them have specials. My filename convention makes it easy for me to be sure I’m seeing the special episodes in order.
I’ll have to check the version on that particular AppleTV when I’m downstairs. (Back issues - some days stairs are a pain!)
It’s odd this just showed up like this and isn’t an ongoing issue.
(I still have that other ongoing issue I’ve discussed elsewhere - the amazingly long delays in stepping through folders and taking, literally, 5 minutes, to get to the episode I want to see! But that’s another thread.)