Using USB drive as primary

Just installed aTV Flash, and love it so far.

Might anyone know how to convince the aTV to see the USB drive as main storage, so new items downloaded from iTunes go to the USB instead of my (mostly full) 40 gig?  Alternatively, can my existing iTunes music be moved to the USB drive?

Thanks so much!

jj

Have you tried SSHing in and removing the standard folder with an alias pointing at the external drive?

Say for the movie folder: Rename /Users/frontrow/Movies folder and create an symbolic link (alias) that points to to something like /mnt/scratch/Volumes/‘externaldrive’/Movies

From terminal:

mv /Users/frontrow/Movies /Users/frontrow/Movies.bak

ln -s /mnt/scratch/Volumes/'usbdrivename'/Movies /Users/frontrow/Movies <— assumes you have a Movies folder on the root of your USB Drive

ln -s make a symbolic link to the Movies folder on your external HDD.
if it works, GREAT. If it doesn’t just undo with

rm -rf /Users/frontrow/Movies

THEN

mv /Users/frontrow/Movies.bak /Users/frontrow/Movies

No Work for me with /mnt/Media (itunes folder?) please can you help me ?
Thanks

Hey.
Whats the full path to your USB drive? << This will let me help you by making the terminal commands so you can c/p

Also, which folders are you looking to link to the external drive.

Since I don’t download from Apple straight to the aTV, I’m not sure where it puts downloads, movie rentals, purchased music …etc. Anyone know?

4lex - Help me understand this post…! Below is my usb path:

/mnt/scratch/volumes/av

Can i place a music alias file in my usb so that my apple tv reads it as a primary storage. Perhaps the answer to this will shed light on the movies folder, photos folder…etc

The idea being - No need to upgrade the atv harddrive if the external will do the trick.

Great. Ok.

So the idea here is … you want to replace the Movie/Music/etc folder on the Apple TV with a symbolic link (or alias) to a folder on the external HDD.

In essence, there really IS NO Movie folder in the aTV anymore, instead it’s replaced by something like a wormhole that ends up on a Movie folder on /mnt/scratch/volumes/av/Movies. My question is, does the apple TVs original firmware save to this folder when DLing from the apple store. Once someone can list all of the save paths that the Apple Store uses, one could make aliases for them all … eliminating the need for internal storage.

Saving to /Users/frontrow/Movies is the same as saving to /mnt/scratch/volumes/av/Movies, once the symbolic link (alias) is set up

Should work. It’s the same as putting an alias for a USB device in your Mac’s Movies folder so that Frontrow can see the movies on it.

Hey.
Whats the full path to your USB drive? << This will let me help you by making the terminal commands so you can c/p

Also, which folders are you looking to link to the external drive.

Since I don’t download from Apple straight to the aTV, I’m not sure where it puts downloads, movie rentals, purchased music …etc. Anyone know?[/quote]

First of all, sorry for my english :wink:

I make this:

cp -R /mnt/Media/* /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/<name of usb drive> 
  sudo mv /mnt/Media /mnt/Media.org
  sudo ln -s /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/<name of usb drive> /mnt/Media 

source: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_USB_Storage

but don´t work, seems to make the alias or symbolic link but not sync with itunes and stop on the apple logo when reboots.
All I want its itunes sync with my usb hdd because my photo library and music library its large than 50 gb
PD: I have Apple tv with 2.1.
Thanks.

First of all, sorry for my english :wink:

I make this:

cp -R /mnt/Media/* /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/
sudo mv /mnt/Media /mnt/Media.org
sudo ln -s /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/ /mnt/Media

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is … when moving everything to the external drive with that first command, did you put everything in a folder called Media? Although I suppose it should matter as long as the 3rd command point to your files from the output of your 1st command.

The apple tv must recognize that the /Media folder is actually an alias and that’s why it’s not working. Those commands work for me but thats only because I’m doing it with the Movies folder which doesn’t sync with anything.

Anyone else have any insight?

I am experiencing the same type of frustrating behavior:

• I have configured the ATV to see my USB drive and it does show up when I issue a df -h. It is properly mounted under /mnt/Scratch/Volumes
  • I reboot the ATV and it mounts automatically. Great so far.
  • If I set up any kind of link in /mnt (linking Media to a Media directory on my USB drive) or within Media (linking for example Media Files to a similar directory on the USB drive), the ATV does not follow the link and when I reboot, the USB drive does not mount!

To prove to myself that the ATV was not following the link, I synched a few items from iTunes and the items went into Media.org! (my renamed Media folder under /mnt)

What is going on? This is not standard Unix behavior… Does someone have a fix for this?

Thank you

Hey ----not to the Point of the last question,but…I’d just like to add that–If Using a USB enabled hard drive for ATV --with any kind of a decent sound system, that the USB cable is a big factor in the sound You’ll be getting. I, for instance have a 500 gb outboard hard drive attached–and it came with this crappy data wire, that I tried and felt it sounded laminated–And That’s Not A Good Thing. So, I switched it With a USB cable that appears to have some Ferrite Rings on it ( came with my Yamaha Burner ) --That cables sound made a vast difference.
Actually , given that sound systems (sneaky one’s too) are headed to all media center hard drive enabled , I know that http://www.audioadvisor.com offers some semi-expensive Audiophile Grade USB cables—Haven’t tried them though. In my case --a semi-good cable did make a difference. There are probably some other audio manufacturers cashing in on a new way to package exaltabley pure copper. (ps–not that I recommend Ferrite rings for you wires --'cause unless there tried, tested and intended for a particular application, their probably not so good an idea—Washes everything down the tubes–sound wise as an “add-on”.

Does anyone have any updated info on if this is possible? I have and aTV with 2.2 and would love to know how to do this.

Thanks.