Use zh-SG when zh-CN does not have translated titles

Simplified Chinese metadata is the default collection of TMDB zh-CN data, but many streaming media cannot be used in mainland China, resulting in many recent videos without Chinese Simplified Translated Titles, but in zh-SG There are Chinese Simplified Translated Titles
e.g.

Because the TMDB editing rules cannot add Translated Titles to movies that are not distributed in this region, the metadata titles collected are all the original distribution region titles, which do not conform to local usage habits.
Is it possible to use zh-SG when zh-CN does not have Translated Titles?

4 Likes

2nd this request. My wife is a Beijinger; and often there are no simplify Chinese subs found. So this would a Great Help to add as a selection choice.

Also it would be nice to allow selection of a Subtitle on the item detail screen before playback

The lack of fallback metadata option is annoying also in plex and jellyfin.
Obviously it’s because English dev & community are highly likely don’t need to experienced these kind of issue ever in their life.

1 Like

Your video information source website tmdb is controlled by an administrator who discriminates against China. The Chinese names of many episodes, including Spider-Man 3,Severance, Love Death Robot, and the Everything Everywhere All at Once, have been removed, and the editor has been locked down to prohibit users from adding Chinese names. ! This hurts the feelings of our mainland Chinese users, and makes us very disappointed in the operation of infuse. Hope you guys play a role in improving this.

tmdb的管理infuse没啥关联啦,infuse只是使用tmdb的信息而已呢。

Mod Edit/Translation:
The management of tmdb has nothing to do with infuse. Infuse only uses the information of tmdb.

我知道你的意思,但是infuse能够搜刮影片信息,这是infuse被众多大陆用户青睐的重要原因,保证这部分信息的准确性和本地化,也是infuse需要付出的努力,不能仅仅把责任撇给TMDB哦。

Mod Edit/Translation:
I know what you mean, but infuse can search for video information, which is an important reason why infuse is favored by many mainland users. Ensuring the accuracy and localization of this part of the information is also an effort that infuse needs to make, and it cannot just leave the responsibility to TMDB. Oh.

But I don’t see how it can do that. Firecore doesn’t manage or have authority over any metadata database.

All it could possibly do is allow users to override TMDB-sourced metadata via local XML/.nfo files (which it currently does, in a limited way) … or allow users to access alternative metadata providers, provided those metadata providers have a compatible and not cost-prohibitive API (and if you know of one that would work, you can suggest/request they support it).

I just checked your first example (Spider-Man 3), and it looks like it’s still possible to enter new alternative titles (if logged in). Is that what you were attempting? And did they arbitrarily delete your entries? If so, that’s really weird.

Now tmdb locks a lot of translated titles in the zh-CN language.
There are many more examples I didn’t list them all
tmdb can’t be changed, so I can only give advice to the infuse developers.

Wow there are a like a billion words in that TMDB thread!

I think I understand what it is you want to do, and how it is that TMDB won’t let you.

I spent about an hour trying to figure out why, but I can’t. I read TMDB’s complete policy on Translated Titles (written in my native language) and I still don’t understand it.

I think what they’re saying is … nah, I don’t have a clue. I tried to write that sentence five different ways and couldn’t make it work. Maybe something about it being up to the film studios and distributors to decide what we can call their films … and if they don’t choose to ever release their film in say, for example, China … with a Mandarin title … than Mandarin speakers from China don’t get to bestow upon the film their own title in their own language?

I looked up the first film you cited in the TMDB post: Everything, Everywhere, All at Once.

So that’s an American made film acted in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese. But it’s registered title is in English. It was apparently released separately in Hong Kong and Taiwan with different Cantonese titles, so TMDB accepts users adding both of those titles to its database. Other countries or regions that apparently got localized titles include Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Croatia, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Japan, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain,Turkey, Ukraine, Vietnam, and French speaking Canada — but not French speaking France.

Nor did Denmark, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Singapore, Sweden, or the UAE. The film’s official title in each of those countries is the English one.

What I gather this means is … people who speak Danish, German, Hindi, Italian, Dutch, Filipino, Malay, Swedish, or Arabic don’t get to view the title of this movie on TMDB (and thus is Infuse) displayed in their local language. If your speak European Spanish, your fine. You can see the movie’s title displayed in Spanish. But if you live in Mexico — no Spanish title for you. Only English.

Yeah, that’s kinda weird. But I guess, after all, it is the artist’s prerogative to dictate the name their own baby.

I have two suggestions which may or may not be useful to you:

1. If scraping is the issue that bothers you most, as long as you name your file with the approved primary language title — or any other foreign language title approved for that movie on TMDB, the search should work. If there isn’t an acceptable localized title allowed for you, you may be able to add an “Alternative Title” for that movie to TMDB’s database in your native language. That should allow both your files to be indexed and you not to run afoul of TMDB’s strict rules.

2. If instead it’s your videos displayed titles (inside Infuse) that bother you — and you want your foreign-language titled movies displayed and indexed in your library as if they were released in your native language, than you can use a custom XML or NFO file to override what is displayed in Infuse for each of those movies or series.

Maybe a better sample:

It is a Netflix made Hindi movie, Netflix already provided official Simplified Chinese title used in both mainland China and Singapore, just because Netflix isn’t operating in mainland China, Tmdb’s mods then do not allow Simplified Chinese translation to be used when metadata language is set to zh-CN.

A simple metadata language fallback option in Infuse will solve most of similar problems. if it is hard to change at Tmdb side.

1 Like

Of course they don’t. :roll_eyes:

I don’t know how simple that might actually be, but I can see why it would be useful. Might manual overrides be helpful in the meantime? How many titles are we talking about?

We’re currently looking into the options we have for improving this in Infuse.

3 Likes

蜘蛛侠3因为无法添加中文名被新建了一个版本,但是目前已经被删除了

Mod Translate:
Spider-Man 3 was created a new version because the Chinese name could not be added, but it has been deleted