USB Primary Storage Not Working in 4.0

I’ve restored my Apple TV, updated to ATV 3.0, updated to ATV Flash 4.0, reformatted and renamed my external USB drive and followed the instructions for switching to external storage, but after a few minutes of waiting while files are copies to the USB drive, the screen saver kicks in, all drive activity ceases, and the only way to regain control of the Apple TV is to unplug it. Upon reboot, checking in Maintenance>Settings shows that the internal, NOT the external drive is being used.

I guess we wait until a fix is issued.

Oh well, lesson learned. Never update to the latest Apple TV/ATV Flash releases for at least two weeks, preferably more. The USB storage thing was evidently not thoroughly tested before 4.0 was released.

Not the same story here but my external drive IS being used for the primary drive but my files don’t show up in the Nito app. It shows my drive, I select External Media, and it just sits there. It appears that my drive was wiped when I switched it over to the primary drive even though I read it wouldn’t. Bummer

The iTunes synced files won’t be accessible through nitoTV. If you walk through the setting up the external drive as primary (http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=USB_Storage#Option_2:_USB_as_Primary_Storage) the previously synced media will be recognized, and the process will work to again enable the USB drive as primary, but you will NOT be prompted to format the drive.

Mine didn’t work either. I followed the instructions step by step but when I clicked on my movies it said there was nothing there or whatever the default ATV message when you haven’t purchased anything.
When I changed back to the Internal drive and took my external drive and plugged it on my Mac to format, it mounted as MediaHD vs. External Media which is what it was previously before the update. Within the drive there was a folder labeled External Media with all my old stuff but all the new stuff the ATV was recognizing was the the stuff that was somehow setup instead. I was never prompted to select a drive for the external drive it just rebooted and I thought I was all set to go. Not the case.
Anyways everything else went smoothly and I was just forced to re-sync my iTunes library back over which I ran over night.
Right now everything is running exactly the same as before but much faster and much more stylish!

Thanks guys for the quick turnaround. Just might want to look at that External drive issue.

Drew

I followed the instruction re set my apple tv to internal hd etc well I am now resyncing on libary for the third time this week

I bought atv flash because I didn’t want hassle I want it to work and not need to be syncing every couple of days over a 100 gb of data

Please please please can you sort out the instructions for keeping the synced data on an external hd safe after an update because the current ones do not work

You problems may be that you failed to change the primary storage BACK to internal before you ran Apple’s AppleTV 3.0 update. Failure to do so will necessitate you to wipe the AppleTV and start over.

If so, hold down menu and - on the remote during reboot.
Restore to default settings
enter code to allow iTunes to talk to AppleTV
Update to 3.0
Install atvFlash 4.0
run smart installer (this is easy to forget). In fact, I updated everything at this point to make sure the next step worked.
Switch primary storage to external (your external HD will show up now). Note: My external HD has been connected and on ever since the the installation of atvFlash 4.0
Configure sync settings from iTunes and hit sync.
wait until finished

It worked well for me. I think it was a good thing that I too failed to change the primary storage BACK to internal before I ran Apple’s AppleTV 3.0 update. A new installation now allows Flash and Firefox to work which didn’t before. I hope this helps.

^^ you mean you can watch flash vids in firefox??

no i changed back to internal first before updating as per the instructions

that is why i am annoyed i am still re-syncing all my data since last night. :cry:

We’re very sorry for the trouble. It seems there was an issue affecting some users that prevented previously synced media from being recognized after an update. The issue has been fixed, and will be available in an updated version of Maintenance soon.

This will not be an issue when updating to future versions.

Should we interpret your comment as meaning we should wait until 4.1 to update IF we have not yet upgraded to Apple TV 3.0 AND we are currently using an external drive on a previous version of aTVFlash?

I just downloaded 4.0 this am (Sat. 11/7 09:00 ET), but don’t want to have to resync 100’s of gigs of movies to my external drive.

Should we interpret your comment as meaning we should wait until 4.1 to update IF we have not yet upgraded to Apple TV 3.0 AND we are currently using an external drive on a previous version of aTVFlash?

I just downloaded 4.0 this am (Sat. 11/7 09:00 ET), but don’t want to have to resync 100’s of gigs of movies to my external drive.[/quote]
Yes, the issue isn’t affecting all users, but if you currently have not updated and want to prevent having to sync your movies again, it would be a good idea to wait. It should be available in the next few days.

When the update becomes available you would install aTV Flash 4.0, update the Maintenance plugin (through Maintenance > Manage Plugins menu) prior to setting up the external drive as primary.

Again, we’re sorry for the inconvenience.