Upscaling/Downscaling

I have a 4th gen ATV connected to a 1080 TV.

My understanding is that Infuse will output video in it’s original resolution and the ATV will then up/downscale it to match the output setting… (happy to be corrected if that’s not the case…)

My question is whether I’ll get better quality playback by keeping SD and 4K files in their current resolution and letting the ATV up/downscale on the fly, or should I re-encode them to 1080p (using handbrake or ffmpeg or whatever) so the ATV doesn’t have to deal with that? Has anyone done any tests or have technically knowledge to let me know what’s best?

Personally, I don’t think you’ll gain anything by running these files through Handbrake just to get the resolution to match your TV. Anytime you remux something you will be losing a little bit of quality, plus this can be a rather time consuming process.

We’ve put a lot of effort into fine-tuning the upscaling in Infuse, and we feel the results in the current version are pretty great.

One thing to keep in mind the 4th gen Apple TV won’t be able to play 4K HEVC content. Playback of these files (regardless of the output resolution) will require the ATV4K.

1 Like

That’s really helpful, cheers James.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.