Upgrading jailbroken apple tv 2 from 4.3 to 5.0.1

Not sure if this has been answered in other threads or not but, I recently got a apple tv 2 running firmware 4.3, I saved the shsh blobs via iFaith for 4.3, I was able to untethered jailbreak with seas0npass with no issues. But would like to upgrade the firmware to the newer style, so looking at upgrading to 5.0.1 which is still untethered. Showing that apple doesnt sign ipsw’s anymore so when i download one for that firmware and try to shift restore via itunes it errors. Is this not possible to upgrade anymore to a newer firmware? If you guys got any ideas or ways to complete this that would be awesome.

It is only possible to change to a new firmware release that Apple is no longer signing if you already have shsh (digital signatures) for the target release on your device. It sounds as this may not be the case for you?

Yea only blobs i have r for the current firmware i am on which is 4.3, well that stinks so guess means stuck at 4.3 and hope atv flash and xbmc and all other plugins work well with 4.3. Was hoping to upgrade to a little newer firmware just incase things didnt play well

If you really want the new features you always have the option of the 5.3 tethered jailbreak.

Regardless I would make sure that you periodically run the option to backup firmware signatures from the ATV Flash Maintenance app. That will make sure you have some options going forward. It will also allow you to check (if you have not done so already) what signatures you currently have.

Well i dont wanna go 5.3 as tethered the best option, i am not realy concerned about the new features just thought i read somewhere that atv flash new version or something wouldnt play well with 4.3. is this true? currently dont have atv flash installed yet just did the untethered jailbreak as was looking for a way to update the firmware and still have untethered as tethered would be a pain everytime shutdown have to rejailbreak…darn apple and there stopping of ipsw signing, if only could grab a copy of someone elses signed ipsw and would allow to work on mine but dont think that works correct?

Dont think this will work either as been doing jailbreaks on phone and ipad for a few years but sicne i have shsh blobs for current 4.3 if i upgraded to 5.3 would i then be able to pull shsh blobs from all versions in the middle and then be able to downgrade to another version or no?

I think It should work fine. I guess it is possible there might be some small feature that needs later firmware, but I guess only James can give a definitive answer to that.

currently dont have atv flash installed yet just did the untethered jailbreak as was looking for a way to update the firmware and still have untethered as tethered would be a pain everytime shutdown have to rejailbreak…darn apple and there stopping of ipsw signing, if only could grab a copy of someone elses signed ipsw and would allow to work on mine but dont think that works correct?

Correct it does not work.

That was one reason why I recommended periodic backups of firmware signatures as it always includes any that are currently being signed by Apple which can prove useful later.

Alright so upgrading is pointless as still wouldnt get signatures of old firmware, ughhh hmmm

Be careful about installing Rowmote on an ATV2 running 4.3

Weeks of grief followed my attempt.  Ended up that only TotalCommader would re-jailbreak the devices.  Seas0npass would only restore the stock firmware.

Won’t go there again.