Upgrade notice preventing playback

I’m trying to play an .avi file, but I get an upgrade notice instead of playback. Even when I click th “no thanks” button, it pops up again. Will upgrading enable the file to play?

It is likely that it will, but to be sure one would need to know what in the file is triggering that behaviour. Using an app like mediainfo to get information on the codecs used would help to determine this. The most likely cause for needing the Pro version would be if the file uses Dolby (AC3) audio for which license fees have to be paid (which is included in the price of the Pro version).

Thanks for responding. Here’s what Mediainfo says about the file. It doesn’t say anything about Dolby audio. Do you see something else here that would trigger the upgrade notice?

General
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 449 MiB
Duration : 58mn 34s
Overall bit rate : 1 071 Kbps
Writing library : VirtualDub build 35491/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 934 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.177
Stream size : 391 MiB (87%)
Writing library : XviD 65

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 53.6 MiB (12%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

Also, if I upgrade the OStv app, will I have to pay a second time for the iOS app?

I could not spot anything obvious in the codec information - maybe someone else.

If you buy the TVOS version then you also get the iOS version. Make sure, however, that you get exactly the same version on both platforms. In other words if you get the free version on one platform and then do the inapp purchase to Pro then make sure you also start with the free version on the other platform (the inapp purchase should then be applied automatically). Some people make the mistake of starting with the free version on one platform, and then starting with the non-free version on the other which results in you being charged twice.

‘Packed bitstream’ video is one type that requires Pro.