update from 3.01 to 3.02 without factory restore

Is this possible? I do not want to have to reinstall everything after a factory restore.

I am now at ATVFlash v4.1

A factory restore is never required. If you’re using an external drive for iTunes syncing you will need to switch back to internal before updating the AppleTV OS.

http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Install

OK thanks!

I do not use an external drive.

So as I understand it, I can do the Apple UPdate even with the ATVFlash software installed. I was always under the impression that this was a big ‘no-no!’

Then I have to use a USB flash install of ATVFLash again.

Thanks!@

Yes, updating the AppleTV system software with aTV Flash installed simply requires aTV Flash to be reinstalled using a USB flash drive. Your media and settings will remain intact after the update/reinstall.

Just Curious:

Since a factory restore is now no longer required as a first step, does the Apple update “see” the ATVFLash software and could Apple track those of us who have it installed?

No, AppleTV updates essentially reset the system partition instead of just patching the changed files. This has been how updates have been installed since day one, so each update required aTV Flash to be reinstalled via USB.