Unable to update Media Player

I’m running 5.0.2 (4250) on my ATV 2 and everything has been working very well with my system.  I noticed there was an update for Media Player today, but the installation is failing every time I try and install.  The log says:

E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can’t mmap an empty file
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Reading package lists…
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: Can’t mmap an empty file
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I’ve tried rebooting the ATV multiple times, no change.  Any suggestions?  Thanks so much for your assistance!

edit:  As an experiment, I just tried installing Rowmote and uninstalling Aircontrol and Remote HD and received the exact same installation failure log for all three.

I was able to resolve by selecting Clear All Metadata in the Media Player and then rebooting.  Should I plan on doing that periodically or even on a weekly basis to keep my ATV running (like changing the oil on my car every three months/3000 miles)?  Thanks!

I did The same And i could update with no problems

The Apple TV should have plenty of space so clearing the metadata is never required.

Do you have XBMC installed by chance? There are a number of XBMC add-ons that can eat up A LOT of space.

I do have XBMC installed with many add-ons.  If I remove XBMC, will that remove all of the add-ons I’ve installed, too?  I basically never use it and would be fine without it.  I still seem to run into memory problems frequently and have to use Cyberduck to clear out my cache, so if this would fix that, I’d be very happy. Thanks!

After removing XBMC (via Manage Extras) the add-ons would need to be removed manually.

If you don’t plan to use XBMC at all, you can connect to the Apple TV with Cyberduck (http://support.firecore.com/entries/316002-connecting-via-ssh-and-sftp) and remove the entire XBMC folder which is located in the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences folder.