Unable to play certain files with aTV Flash

I am unable to play certain files with any applet (including XBMC & Boxee) on one apple tv patched with the aTV Flash patchstick.

Using the atvusb-creator patchstick on another apple tv, i am able to play these files with both XBMC & Boxee.

Two of the files are both .mkv files. mkvinfo output on the video & audio segments reads as follows:

|+ Segment tracks | + A track | + Track number: 1 | + Track UID: 1 | + Track type: video | + Enabled: 1 | + Default flag: 1 | + Forced flag: 0 | + Lacing flag: 0 | + MinCache: 1 | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 | + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC | + Codec decode all: 1 | + CodecPrivate, length 131 | + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps for a video track) | + Language: eng | + Name: <MOVIENAME> | + Video track | + Pixel width: 852 | + Pixel height: 720 | + Interlaced: 0 | + Display width: 1280 | + Display height: 720 | + A track | + Track number: 2 | + Track UID: 814175665 | + Track type: audio | + Enabled: 1 | + Default flag: 1 | + Forced flag: 0 | + Lacing flag: 1 | + MinCache: 0 | + Timecode scale: 1.000000 | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0 | + Codec ID: A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR | + Codec decode all: 1 | + CodecPrivate, length 7 | + Default duration: 42.667ms (23.438 fps for a video track) | + Language: eng | + Name: <MOVIENAME> | + Audio track | + Sampling frequency: 24000.000000 | + Channels: 6 | + Output sampling frequency: 48000.000000

I also have a third file which I believe (but am not 100% sure) has the same video/audio encoding but is encapsulated as an .mp4 file. This file WILL play via iTunes/the Apple TV native movie player but not in any other applet installed by the aTV Flash patchstick. This file will also play on the second apple tv patched with the atusb-creator patchstick with Boxee & XBMC.

The apple TV software version is 2.3.1.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
  2. What log files might I be able to look at on the appleTV itself via ssh session to get more information?

Thanks in advance!

MKV files above about 480p are not supported on the Apple TV. The Apple TV just does not have the horsepower to play these unfortunately.

first, what does it matter if the files are MKV or not? MKV is just a container format. The actual video is h.264. how would it be any different if the container format was AVI or MP4?

second, why is it that the XBMC / Boxee installed by atvusb-creator CAN play these files on an Apple TV, but those (and the rest of the applets) installed by aTV flash do not? i’ve gotten flawless playback with these exact files on another Apple TV using the XBMC / Boxee installed by atvusb-creator. it doesn’t seem like this should be possible if it is a hardware limitation of the platform.

hmmmm! I’m having the same problem!
Hi,

This happens since the last 4 or 5 revisions… with the older versions (I think previous to version 3) 720p mkv files was fine (currently those also are not working)

Any idea to solve this?

thanks!

Hi, I have just purchased an AppleTV and the ATV Flash, hoping to play all my MKV movie files, I have tried several times, even restored the appletv  a couple of times in the process, but I am still unable to play these MKV files, will I have to spend the rest of the month, converting these files to, avi, m4v or mp4 files, as I must have over 50 MKV movies, any help please, ps. if I do need to convert these files, what is the best and fastest program to do this with. Thank you for your time. Stu

You may try the following.

1. Switch 'file playback mode' to Quicktime through nitoTV --> Settings --> General.
2. Disabled 'Apple H.264' through the Maintenance --> Settings menu.

When first playing the file, hit pause and let the blue bar (buffer) fill up.