TV show custom metadata - not working

Infuse has limited support for using local metadata for TV shows at this time. This is something we’ve gotten a few requests for, and hope to look at for a future version.

Currently, to use local metadata for your TV shows (and have them appear in the Library) you would need to use the Edit option to match the series to an existing (arbitrary) series found on TheTVDB. Once matched, Infuse will move the series over to the TV Shows section of the library, and display it with your local metadata/artwork, if present.

Infuse has limited support for using local metadata for TV shows at this time. This is something we’ve gotten a few requests for, and hope to look at for a future version.

Currently, to use local metadata for your TV shows (and have them appear in the Library) you would need to use the Edit option to match the series to an existing (arbitrary) series found on TheTVDB. Once matched, Infuse will move the series over to the TV Shows section of the library, and display it with your local metadata/artwork, if present.

Okay, so the trick is to match it with the “edit” function. And then everything can be overridden with XML (series name, episode name, etc.)?

We really need a way to organized things in sub-folders, like “TV Shows”. Even if the video were stuck in “Other”, it would be a great help if I could organize them logically into their own folders and seasons.

Yes, that should work.

One of the nice things about the library is it doesn’t require you to organize anything. You can have a single folder with a 1000 items, or 1000 folders with a single item each and they will both look the same in the Library.

If you want a little more control over how things are organized you may consider doing this with regular folders, then add a Favorite for one or more of these folders. These Favorites will appear right on the home screen, and you can give them any name you wish. Of course, you can use the library for some items and folders for others. This might be easier than manually putting things into the library.

You can also add custom artwork. More more info on this can be found here.

One of the nice things about the library is it doesn’t require you to organize anything. You can have a single folder with a 1000 items, or 1000 folders with a single item each and they will both look the same in the Library.

I keep things organized for myself but yes, I like the library. I think it’s worked well.

If you want a little more control over how things are organized you may consider doing this with regular folders, then add a Favorite for one or more of these folders. These Favorites will appear right on the home screen, and you can give them any name you wish. Of course, you can use the library for some items and folders for others. This might be easier than manually putting things into the library.

I’m not sure I understand. I add a new Favorite to the home screen and then what is inside that? Doesn’t it behave like “Movies”? I want to have the contents behave like “TV Shows”. So, I would like a top-level divided into folders. Inside each folder there would be folder artwork, plus per-item XML and artwork. Depending on the content, there might be a second level of folders (seasons).

You can add a direct link to a folder which would appear on the home screen. This is done outside of the library, and you could have things organized in any way you like.

To add a folder favorite, just browse your share via the Settings > Shares menu and long-press on a folder name.

Just another option, in addition to the Library.

Does that allow me to have artwork and metadata for each item, too? Would the structure in my original post work?

ShowName/
    ShowName_Ep1.mp4
    ShowName_Ep1.xml
    folder.jpg

Yes, that would work.

I’d recommend trying it out. You can always remove the favorite if it doesn’t do what you’re looking for.

Thank you! I’ll try it.

@james

From what I see, it shows the folder contents as a grid of items. When I click on one, then it’s more like the TV view. I want it to go straight into the “TV view” style and for it to show episode numbers. Is that possible?

Also, should it be using the folder artwork? The folder seems to be a generic image.

@james

Also, my “Other” folder is now full of junk that I don’t want. The files I put into a favorite should only be there and not also in “Other”. Do I need to do something different to prevent that?

Have a look at my previous post on this topic…

What is described above will fail you in offline mode and is not perfect in online mode…

I urge @james to revisit this as there is not too much missing from having this working. But now it looks more like a hit and miss. It’s clearly attempts made but there are simple things not working.

I ended up adding my personal videos on thetvdb.com to sort it out, not what I want as it is my private videos!

To be honest, this isn’t something we get a ton of requests for so it’s been on the back burner for awhile.

At the same time, it’s clear with a few reasonable changes we can add some flexibility that would be useful here, so it’s still something we hope to get to at some point.

Great!
Let me know if you need any input.

Also, my “Other” folder is now full of junk that I don’t want. The files I put into a favorite should only be there and not also in “Other”. Do I need to do something different to prevent that?

I figured out that I just needed to remove the custom folder from the “library”.

I would still like the content formatted in the TV Show style but at least I have the “Other” problem fixed!