I’ve now tried about 20 times to jailbreak my atv2. The first time I followed the instructions for using Seas0nPass on my mac running Snow Leopard. When it got time to restore in iTunes, the script reported a failure and pointed me to the SP firmware. So I tried to restore that in iTunes by 1) putting atv2 into DFU mode (no problem) and option-clicking to get the patched firmware. That failed with error 1600.
I tried this any number of times to no avail.
Then I tried the same process in Windows 7 (running under VMWare). Again, no problem getting into DFU mode, restoring the software results in a 1601 error this time.
Then I tried using iReb RC 4 to put the atv2 into DFU mode. It did that no problem and installed limera1n. I quit it and started iTunes but the atv2 never shows up in the left-hand column as it should according to several instructions available here and elsewhere. So I can’t restore the firmware using iTunes. If I put it back into DFU mode and try to restore in iTunes, I get the 1601 error again.
I’m pretty much at the end of my tether(ed jailbreak).