Transferring camcorder tapes - Looking for suggestions!

I’m about to transfer home movies from my camcorder tapes to a hard drive for ultimate viewing via ATV/aTV Flash. Some of he tapes were recorded 20 years ago and some recently (different camcorders, both analog, both non-HD). I also plan on doing the same with video recorded in HD on my digital SLR camera. Some, if not all, may be edited in iMovie.

I do not want these to be associated with iTunes. I have previously transferred ripped (via Ripit) DVDs to the external (Primary) hard drive, synced via FTP/Cyberduck, and would like to do something similar with the home movies, preferably in a different folder than the ripped DVDs or in some manner to segregate “commercial” movies from “home” movies.

I’m looking for suggestions! What format to use? How/where to transfer the home movie media onto the external HD?

I have done the very same, but i had use of a dvd player that can also record so this captured the anolog film to DVD disc (Video TS) I had to do that in real time ran for hours on end , then to save space used ffmpegx to convert to a much smaller avi format. which was watched on the ATV, Well worth the effort .

I use an Elgato EyeTV hybrid on my Mac for this very purpose. It allows you to plug in any vcr/camcorder/etc that has composite or S-Video out. Then I use the EyeTV software to export it to an AppleTV friendly format.

hope this helps!!

Thanks. I have no problem converting the tapes/importing to iMovie for editing. I know I can go from iMovie to the AppleTV, but I don’t want to because since I sync from iTunes, I would have to keep all of the movies on my laptop. I’m still open to suggestions, but right now I plan on going from iMovie to iDVD and see if I can create a disk image instead of a physical DVD burn. I’ll have to see if the disk image produces a VideoTS file then I’ll try transferring this via Cyberduck FTP to the ATV external (Primary) drive where I’ve already transferred my ripped DVDs. Any alternative solutions?

Ok, here’s what I decided to do. I transferred the tapes to iMovie for editing. When done, I shared the iMovie project to iDVD. If needed, I would burn a DVD for others but for ATV viewing, I created a disk image instead of a physical DVD burn. The disk image produces a VideoTS file that I transferred via Cyberduck FTP to the ATV external (Primary) drive where I’ve already transferred my ripped DVDs. This works fine for me! I keep it out of iTunes and off my laptop after transferring to the ATV external drive.