Transcoding options for Plex, Emby, Jellyfin

Yes. I pretty much only stream shows to my phone when I’m on the road and it is not good for your data pot when streaming a 20Mbit 4k. I used the plex client instead, so no big deal, but there you have great options to select quality based on bitrate or/and resolution, which works very well.

Bumping this up and voicing my support for this feature!

1 Like

I wish infuse devs understood the need for this feature. This is still not on the roadmap and it’s a huge blocker for using infuse on the go or when I am away from home. Preloading every thing is not always an option and I’ll much prefer if infuse offered an option to let me pick the quality and requested transcoded streams from jellyfin.

As a note, Yatse a single dev application for jellyfin(and other apps) on android already supports playing or downloading transcoded streams. Please at least put this on the roadmap? Enough people have asked for it already

1 Like

I moved your post to a suggestion thread requesting this feature.

Don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

1 Like

This feature is needed!

Don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

1 Like

Another advantage, for Firecore, is I could recommend this app to friends and family, so more customers!

In my opinion, it would not be bad if infuse could transcode videos without linking to Plex/Emby servers. Just as an internal function of infuse itself.
And so that it is possible to turn on/off this function. For example, when you are at home, the Internet is good/network, transcoding function is not needed. When you are far from home with a weak Internet connection, you need the function, turn on transcoding.
And so that the transcoding uses the power of the Apple TV 4K hardware. In this case, the performance of the NAS server will not matter. And this will add versatility to the solution.

Transcoding is nice on the nas itself if you have slower upload speeds, transcoding on device makes no sense if your internet can handle it in my opinion

I may be wrong, but if transcoding takes place on the NAS server, the processor and RAM resources of the server will be spent. And, for example, on models such as the Synology DS220+ and below, transcoding is unlikely to work. And if you use the already considerable power of Apple TV 4K (A12/15 chips), then the effectiveness of transcoding will increase.

One important usage of transcoding is when you want to limit traffic, so for that use case, the transcoding needs to take part on the server

why will you transcode on the apple device if it can receive the very large content just fine and play it as well ? It doesn’t make sense.

Transcoding in the context of limiting the amount of data transferred makes more sense and is the reason most people will ask for it.

Transcoding on the viewing device doesn’t make much sense because why would you transcode on viewing device ? I makes more sense to do it on the server to receive a smaller file in case of slower upload or download speeds

1 Like

most of us just want a quality selector so that we could play files that are massive in file size without buffering / consuming too much data if using mobile data

The point everyone above is trying to make is that the receiving device can’t control the bandwidth sent by the server. Only the server can do that.

For the AppleTV to “transcode” a file, it first needs to download the whole thing. Only by having the whole file can a device then run compression algorithms on it.

This is what a Plex server does. It measures the bandwidth available between itself and the receiving device (however that signal is transferred) and then adjust the compression levels ‘on the fly’. It takes a lot of processor power because Plex needs to take the entire full-quality stream and compress each video key frame and interstitials so that the outgoing stream is at a low enough bandwith to successfully pass through the internets between itself and the receiving client app.

Hope the helps explain it.

Plex/jellyfin/emby can utilize the gpu or even the iGPU of intel devices so it doesn’t take a lot (or any at all) of cpu to do it.

I’m also pretty disappointed that Infuse can’t specify different bitrates or video resolutions for server-side realtime transcoding. I’m currently on a train and am watching my favorite show over a slow cellular connection, and I’ve had to resort to Jellyfin’s web player in order to have a smooth playback experience.

I’ve already heart-ed the first message in this thread to indicate my support for this feature.

For reference, here’s the Jellyfin REST API request that starts a video stream - note that bitrate is simply a GET request parameter: Jellyfin - ReDoc

I hope this can be fairly easily integrated.

3 Likes

Which software is to be running on the server to handle the transcoding?

You realize Firecore does not build server-side software, yes?

You need to use the client written for the transcoding software on your server. That’s all you’ve got.

Infuse is a client. The server is Jellyfin. Guess you didn’t you see the doc referenced

https://api.jellyfin.org/#tag/Videos/operation/GetVideoStream

Yes, but not the native, full-featured client.

Infuse’s relationship with third-party servers is simply to allow users who prefer the third-parties’ media management services to Infuse’s more feature-limited Library to browse Infuse utilizing the server’s media library database instead of Infuse’s.…

Otherwise Infuse just focuses on being the best possible direct-play player available.

If Infuse is to allow a third party server to dictate how streams are re-encoded and presented, what’s the point? Just use the server’s first-party client.