Totally stumped on connecting and managing shares

I got to managed shares under the media tab…and my mbp is recognized there aye ok im even able to test connection

and it has passed over and over even show the server ip. but after I go back and chosse media>my files and click on

my recognized MPB I get a loading content dialouge and pinwheel that kicks me out seems to reboot Atv and Im stuck in that contious cycle

after multiple tries.

So I went in look under sharing on my MBP I have file sharing check mark along with remote login.
under options I have share files and folders using AFP and SMB both with a check markand also shred
folders are were they are suppose to be. One thing thats alrming is I see number of users connected

8! yikes whats going on I have 3 potetial devices in house that can be connected. I did go back and chosse no aceess except for me

with read and write privilege so that seems to be ok is there a defintive guide to getting my videos and pictures

streamed on my appletv  using your product?

well i think I found my issue somewhat my downloads folder is over 130gb so thing seems to
‘timeout’ when trying to populate all those filesI removed that folder and created a new folder
with a handful of items and it appeared! all things in that folder are now playable!same thing with my
photo folder. I had 137 items and it timed out but when i reduced it to like 30 photos it works. kind of weird
but thought I would put my resolution out there. is there away to prevent this timeout type behavior from occuring.

I know this is in beta so Im not to pressed right now for a resolution but glad my workaround is workin!

Are you connecting to your MacBook Pro using AFP or SMB?

If you’re able to send in a bug report we can try and track down what’s going on.

Totally same thing here what johnw.6829 descriped on he’s post. Using Lacie NetworkSpaceMAX and thomson router from ISP over wireless. Death sping is running around 2min and after that aTV restarts. This made whole thing not too usable what it used to be, any fixes comming to this?

UPDATE: Tested with methology what johnw.6829 was testing and same this workaround is working. I had around 3000 photos on folder and then removed them and everything is working as it used.

Send bug report and serial number is DCYFK2RJDDR5.

COuld we get this fixed by next release since it kind of take usability out of this whole thing. When I’m back up and store my photos example on same root folder where I have folder for movies I can’t access to any ofthose if I have more than 100 photos on my NAS for share.

//miika

Hi guys,

I experienced the same thing. I’ve got three NAS devices. I can add them to “my files” list, test them and they “pass” the test.

But when I want to connect to one of the shares on those NAS devices, my ATV says “connecting” and finaly reboots. I already send a bugreport to Firecore.

Tomorrow I will try if your workaround also fixes my problem. nahh, it’s just to track down the real problem, because it doesn’t fix anything … I’ve got 2 - 3 TB of mediafiles on each NAS.

Strange thing is that XBMC on the ATV is able to find, connect and play the mediafiles. My Mede8er and HDX1000 are also able to connect… ;-(

I will let you know what I find out.

Guys,
I can comfirm that the problem indeed has something to do with directory size.

I created a new empty share on my NAS and I was able to access this share.
I’ve put some folders with various video files in this share and I was still able to access the share, and the folders with movies.

When I tried to access the shares and folders on the same NAS with a a lot of folders and movies in it, it was not possible to acces the share and the folder anymore. I haven’t calculated yet / tried out yet what foldersize is the limit.

Have exactly the same issue. My ATV2 is connected to a SAMBA share on a NetGear NAS. It seems that the media player is scanning / buffering the photo folder and times out before it can show anything. This is the case with folders with many photos. Also folders with few photos seem to load very slow!

Hi All,

I am having the same issue. When i try to accsess folders with lots of content the Apple TV resets. I will submit a support ticket tonight and keep you posted.

And… anyone already had any luck figuring this out? My ATV2 is totally useless for watching movies as I’m still not able to access my NAS shares ;-(

can you use xbmc while we wait for a fix? i can get to my shares using xbmc…

Hi Kirk9225,

Yes I am able to use XBMC and access my shares, but I find it complicated and sluggish compared to the ATV2-style of selecting things. Maybe I have to try an other skin.

But… you’re right. My ATV2 is not totally usesless at this moment ;) 

I -and some other users- have sent a log-file / bug-report. I guess we have to wait for a fix. Don’t know if Firecore-team has scheduled to work on it.

I did workaround for this issue using shortcut to main window called “video” and keep only 10-15 movies on that folder. This way it seems that atv2 dosent make index calculation on anyother folder than this “video” folder. Now able to keep my photos still on nas and able to use them from other devices than atv2, photo streaming is working fine when iTunes is on.

Sure this should not go like this as idea of atv2 is to be main interface for all media. Like everybody else send couple of support tickets to Firecore, any updates comming on this issue?

I was hoping the new RC1 would bring a solution to our problem. Yesterday I installed the maintenance release and the new mediaplayer.

Unfortunately the problem remains. I still cannot access my shares. This is really a pitty and annoying, because the grid the Firecore guys created looks amazing.

I have to stick with XBMC… this is the only way for me to access my shares.

Did RC1 resolve the problem with any of you?

Still the same after updating to RC1 … Seems that this issue is not addressed at all :frowning:

no after updating to RC1 I am still having the same problem. I was told by support if the update did not work to submit another ticket which I will do. I will let you know when i hear something back. 

I was hoping the new RC1 would bring a solution to our problem. Yesterday I installed the maintenance release and the new mediaplayer.

Unfortunately the problem remains. I still cannot access my shares. This is really a pitty and annoying, because the grid the Firecore guys created looks amazing.

I have to stick with XBMC… this is the only way for me to access my shares.

Did RC1 resolve the problem with any of you?

Edit: I even did a “fresh” install. Reinstalled jailbroken iOS4.3, installed aTVFlash RC1, installed Mediaplayer. No difference.

I updated to the new version of media player yesterday and finally got access to my files again! Get the update and hopefully it will work for you as well.

Yes I also found out that the new version can browse the folders again… But I noticed that photos doesn’t get auto-rotated. Do any of you experience this as-well?