TMDB Altenative Titles

Is it possible to get Infuse to use one of the “Alternative Titles” in TMDB? I’m adding the movie “Ever After: A Cinderella Story” to my collection, but the primary title in IMDB for that is just “EverAfter” (without a space), with alternative titles of “Ever After” and “Ever After: A Cinderella Story”. I can’t find a way to get Infuse to use these alternative titles, though, even when the final exactly matches one of them.

I also tries downloading and hand-editing the title information in an .nfo file which I put alongside the movie, but Infuse appears to ignore title information in .nfo files.

Any suggestions for other ways to set the title for a movie?

This works correctly and will pull the right info from TMDB.

“Ever After A Cinderella Story 1998.mkv”

No colon, and the year in the name found it right off.

As a huge Drew Barrymore fan this is one of the movies I missed when I ported “some” of my movies over from my Google unlimited to my far more limited space NAS.
So the reminder alone makes this my favourite post of the month :innocent:

EDIT.
Grabbing through the auto movie downlosd tool “Radarr” that solely uses TMDB…it insisted I used the name EverAfter to search the movie I was looking for.
On completion it renamed the folder and file EverAfter (1998) both Plex and Infuse (natively) immediately picked up the file correctly but I do have tmdb ids as part of my naming scheme (which just recently Infuse supports) so my success may be down to that tmdb id?

When I search for “Ever After A Cinderella Story 1998” in TMDB, I get back “There are no movies that matched your query.” Similarly, when I search for it in “Infuse”, I get back only the “EverAfter” title I mentioned in my original post. It does bring up proper artwork and metadata in that case, but I was hoping for a better title than “EverAfter”, especially given the title I want is listed as a valid Alternative Title for that TMDB entry.

Do you have the year in the file name as I showed? When you don’t have a year it may not search the Movie database and similarly if you don’t have the season and episode numbers in a tv show it won’t search the tv database.

If you name the file just as my example it will find it and give you the correct metadata.

It’s finding the metadata just fine, with both your suggested filename and my original filename (with the colon and without the year). However, that’s not the problem. The problem is that the metadata has a title of “EverAfter” (no space), and I’d really like to find a way to override that. The TMDB title does have alternative titles listed, including the one I want, but there doesn’t appear to be a way to get Infuse to let you use any of the alternative titles. Also, it doesn’t seem to honor the title in a custom .nfo file when one is present.

You can’t add the year to a TMDB website query unless it is part of the title. You need to use the tag “y:” if you want to narrow the results to a specific year:

Search: “Ever After A Cinderella Story y:1998”

Infuse will use the TMDB title as the displayed title in all cases. TMDB alternative titles are simply there to help metadata searches complete correctly when people have their files named using alternative titles.

Vanilla Infuse (not using Plex or Emby, etc.) will recognize a limited set of tags in local .nfo files co-located with the associated media file and named the same as a TMDB identified video. Infuse will display the title listed in the <title> tag instead of the TMDB-sourced title in such cases; so you’ll need to manually edit the .nfo.

You can’t add the year to a TMDB website query unless it is part of the title. You need to use the tag “y:” if you want to narrow the results to a specific year:

Search: “Ever After A Cinderella Story y:1998”

Thanks - this is good to know! It returns the same “EverAfter” entry as my other searches of course, but it does explain why some of my searches were getting no results at all.

Vanilla Infuse (not using Plex or Emby, etc.) will recognize a limited set of tags in local .nfo files co-located with the associated media file and named the same as a TMDB identified video. Infuse will display the title listed in the <title> tag instead of the TMDB-sourced title in such cases; so you’ll need to manually edit the .nfo.

This was one of the first things I tried. I used tinyMediaManager to download the nfo, and then edited the title tag. To be sure Infuse picked up the change, I also did a manual edit of the selected metadata associated with the file (setting it to the EverAfter entry it was already set to). Even with my edited .nfo file, though, I didn’t see a change in the title. I’ve seen this work for episode titles of TV series, but I’m not sure I’v ever seen it work for either Movies or TV show series titles.

1 Like

I did this all the time (edited titles of movies) before the Cast & Crew .nfo recognition cause a doubled database thing I couldn’t live with (that I think has since been resolved).

I would edit titles so they would be sorted alphabetically the way I wanted to be; for example you keep film series together (think “Raiders of the Lost Ark” renamed to “Indiana Jones 1: Raiders of the Lost Ark”) — but this reason has also now been superseded since Infuse added support for the <sorttitle> tag.

I also edited titles via .nfo to differentiate between different release editions of the same TMDB title (theatrical vs extended or director’s cuts, for example).

And I formerly included suffixes such as “4K” and “IMAX” to relevant videos before I switched to indicating that exclusively through standardized (via a consistent top of poster banner stripe) custom cover images I create for all such films in my collection and share (usually multiple versions of) to TMDB for others to use (and as a free cloud-storage backup of my artwork for myself).

I do know this works.

Share an example of your file organization, file names, and an .nfo and I’ll see if I can spot any issues for you.

To be clear — editing .nfo WON’T work for TV show series titles; nor will it work for TMDB Collections titles — for the same reason:

Each episode or movie .nfo could be edited with a different series title — which would Infuse know is the correct one?

Note that Infuse does not recognize the “tvshow.nfo” metadata file, as it has no single specific video-file with which to pair it — nor any single specific containing folder, since Infuse is designed to grab all episodes of all series and collections from across multiple folders and even multiple local and remote servers and consolidate them seamlessly into one nice, concise database of all media a user has access to.

Instead, Infuse seems to create TV Series internally by making the equivalent of a TMDB Movie Collection (a collection of multiple singular movie title videos). Thus, a TV series in Infuse is a collection of multiple singular TV episode videos.

Subsequently Infuse added support for episode season # recognition and per-season UI pages, but the underlying identification of the Series metadata is based on TMDBs series title metadata.

Like TMDB Movie Collection metadata (including its title and its contents), Infuse’s TMDB-sourced TV Show metadata cannot be edited.

You’ll notice Infuse recognizes episode-level metadata via .nfo (when paired with the same-named video file), letting you edit episode level metadata (titles, plots, cast & crew, user and content age ratings, etc.)

Infuse simply doesn’t seem to have a way to edit series-level (or collection-level) metadata.

Infuse seems to treat the TMDB-sourced titles as the internal “filenames” of the relevant collections containers in its users’ metadata databases.

For these reasons, neither TMDB Collections nor TV Series titles can be edited and you can’t control their sort order. Infuse also does not ignore the leading article “The” in TMDB Movie Collection and TV Series titles when sorting by title, as it does with Movie content.

Thanks for all this useful information here!

After more experimentation, I did get this to work. However, I had to have both the video file and the nfo file use the name “EverAfter” (matching the TMDB entry exactly). To get it to recognize the nfo file, it doesn’t appear to be good enough to use another name for the files, even if that other name does get mapped in Infuse to the right TMDB entry. Once I renamed both the video file and the nfo file to exactly match the TMDB title name, Infuse picked up the edited title I put in the nfo file.

More below…

Ah, interesting - I saw “sorttitle” in the nfo, but it was generally blank and I wasn’t sure what it meant. This makes sense. I mostly haven’t needed this so far because TMDB collections were automatically pulled in for things like my Die Hard and Indiana Jones titles, or I could create my own custom collections where needed. It’s good to know this is another option, though, if I want to keep the titles separate but still have them sort together.

I managed to get this to work as well, but without using nfo files. Following the directions at Metadata 101 – Firecore Support I was able to either take advantage of one of the cut/edition strings it already knew how to match on, or I used the brace syntax to set a custom tag, and Infuse nicely combined all of the entries into a single item. This is a really nicely done feature!

1 Like

Yes, indeed; I was doing that before Infuse added support for multiple versions using auto recognition or filename tags and braces.

I should have mentioned the new feature essentially deprecated that stated use case (except, I’ve come to like my way of doing it, since I also create custom poster artwork for each different version of a film, and when multiple version grouping is in place, I can’t see my custom covers — so I don’t utilize the feature).

You’re welcome.

Blue skies!

A lot of hoops to jump through to get it how you want it. I believe most of the “wrong metadata” issues would be resolved if Infuse actually read embedded metadata. Check out my post here: Manual Override for TV Show Metadata Fetching on WebDAV.

1 Like

See the reply I added there.

Can’t really blame Infuse when uploaders won’t name and tag files correctly; as asking Firecore to add support for non-standard filenames risk mis-identifying far more correctly named files effecting far more users whose content obeys the rules.

I’m sorry you can’t rename the files for breaking the torrents; I get it — sharing is caring, so they say.

See my reply in the other post. It doesn’t work for me and Infuse has confirmed they don’t use the embedded metadata.

My request seems simple- either allow users follow a defined naming process and have Infuse scrape the metadata from TMDB (which I do for most of my movie files) or give users a choice to use the embedded metadata for certain media files. Infuse already pulls metadata from NFO and image files; I’m asking it to pull the metadata from the actual file.

Not sure why this would would cause Firecore to have to “add support for non-standard filenames”. If the filename is correct (what is ‘correct’ is debatable for some movies and TV shows), Infuse pulls from TMDB. If not or if user selects the embedded metadata option, Infuse uses embedded metadata.

Also, I don’t Torrent at all so my request has nothing to do with that. However, if Infuse had the option to use the embedded metadata from the file when streaming, that sounds like a great feature. No requirement to change file names to match (sometimes wrong or finicky) TMDB.

Thanks.

We don’t need to be carrying on discussions across two different threads. Please don’t carry on discussions in the suggestions thread since other users who may be following it to keep up with updates are getting pinged every time you post in that thread .

1 Like

As to using embedded, Infuse can do that.

1 Like

One additional note regarding the terms “local” and “embedded”, Infuse considers “Local” to be external files alongside external to the video while “embedded” is metadata contained internal to the video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.