The New Apple TV 4K - Available on 9/22

Maybe once we see tech specs after the website is updated

Yup, there’s always a lot more hidden behind the scenes they don’t say we find out right after.

Will this device like nvidia shield tv with these spects?
A kind of game console with an additional game controller…

Also, did you understand, The device case and the remote are the same with ATV?

Apple’s supported controllers and games since the ATV4.

Looks exactly the same. The remote from leaks might have haptic feedback.

Website is up:

Networking
Gigabit Ethernet
802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 5.0

Ports
HDMI 2.0a
Gigabit Ethernet
IR receiver
Audio Output
Up to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound (This is the same)

Same remote and box

sorry, accidentally copied old and new together. edited original post

gigabit port at the end. Perfect

I wonder if you can use the 4x GPU to get awesome graphics for 1080p games on my non-4K TV?

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile
HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p
H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound)

I wonder what the max 4K frame rate for HDR is? They specify 60 for SDR, nothing for HDR…

Looks like there is a new remote. I thought it looked a little different. “The first change is a new Menu button that appears to be a part of the touch surface”
May have haptic feedback

1 Like

Hey James,

Would there be any other details in the devs pages. Wouldn’t know where to look.

There is of course this, but not much new there.
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewinTVOS/Articles/tvOS_11_0.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40017635-SW1

Support for true 24fps?

Oops, posted in two separate threads.

Is there any advantage of the 64gb version to play 4k blu ray rips via infuse

$20 to double the memory seems worth it just in case.

1 Like

Its not the money but understanding if the additional storage provides any direct benefit for this purpose.

Playback wise, no.

However, the Apple TV never really runs out of storage space because it ‘helps’ you by removing things it thinks you won’t need. With a larger capacity, this will happen less…which may save you some frustration.

Thanks so I presume that refers to caching and the ‘frustration’ will be re buffering of content.