The Apple TV "Apple TV" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Just to let you know. After I got the itunes error. I disconnected the microusb from the apple tv and reconnected the power cable. It rebooted the atv. The light was blinking but then it stopped blinking so I unplugged the unit and took it to the tv and it was working! It was not stuck in DFU mode!!! This means I'll have to wait for another option to jailbreak the 4.1(4.0 os) on the apple tv. We need a tool like greenpoison or limerain. 

Got the same error. "Apple TV could not be restored"

Why would you give instructions to jailbreak the apple tv black when your fully aware its not yet supported.

No warnings or notices are posted and they should be.

i'm so frustated i can't success to install the  (AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Custom_Restore.ipsw). after that i tunes pop up a massage that pple TV" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build so my question is what should i do i all ready send an email to firecore tech support so i belive i have to wait untill they reply me next week , there's anybody can give me a help to fix this issue i got the version on my apple tv 4.1 

thanks 

OMARCINA :(

Sounds like everyone is frustrated... I spent half a day trying to work out what i was doing wrong! (even though i wasnt!)

Anyway, its tough being at the forefront of technology...

Can't wait to stream all my movies! Come on 4.2!

To my frustrated users,

I am not letting firecore off the hook, BUT come on, this update was labeled as "beta" which means that this is the release before the official release AND you are getting it at a discounted rate.  I am sure they are working on this since the Nerds at Apple through a curve ball.  

To firecore,

Hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after frigging around for nearly a whole day getting OS X to run in VM so I can JB my non updated ATV2 to find that the JB firmware doesn't work what can I say but oh joy/????

Whilst I agree that FC need to put a warning at the top of the page stating that the current JBable firmware won't work this is the peril of doing what we do.

TY FC for your efforts and DEV no pressure but find a fix ASAP :)

Spent 2 days wondering what is wrong with my Apple TV2 until I read this..... It's not fair Firecore!

Is there any way to be sent a notification when the 4.2 becomes available, or do we just have to keep checking back here?   I soooooooooooo want this to work!!   Thanks guys!!

Why the exploit by geohotz used in limera1n and greenpois0n can't be used to insert aTV Flash into the aTV?

Todays date : 6th Dec 2010

I have used the following procedure several times to bring life back into a apparently dead ATV (Black)
Hope this helps. Good luck and as usual, I recommend that you don’t do this.

1. download this firmware
    http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/061-8747.20101122.Vgtr5/AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150_Restore.ipsw

2. download PwnageTool (had to use BitTottent as the native servers were down)

3 . Perform steps 1 to 3 ONLY of the PwnageTool instructions.

1. Using PwnageTool, get the ATV into DFU mode (I know you can do it other ways, just use this thing)

2. Close PwnageTool, start iTunes, alt Restore and select the unmodified file from step 1.

Life retuned to ATV

MT

I received the same message. I unplugged the aTv from my mac and plugged it into the tv. It worked and still has v. 4.0. Now what do I do? How do I get around the error? 

SO HOW LONG EVERYBODY HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE RELEASE OF THE 4.1 AFTER HOLIDAYS MAYBE ?????

SORRY BUT I WANT TO ENJOY FULL THE APPS IN MY 2 GEN APPLE TV :(

Sorry

I think we will have to wait for a pretty long time - still there is no proper JB for aTv on ios 4.1 - and there is also no aTv flash for aTv on iOs 4.1

We have to wait for both those things to happen and in that described order.

I purchased my aTV on the 2nd and from then there hasn't been a proper crack.  it's been a week so i would guess at least another 2 weeks until someone get through it.

SO WHAT TO DO???

I just bought it, bought the micro usb cable and now it is not working!!!

What we have to do? Just wait?

When will be able to use FireCore and the service that we paid for???

So, as we all know, The new aTV flash has come out for 4.1. Great I know. There is also said to be a way to jailbreak it but only if you are tethered to the devise. If you look at the page, http://support.firecore.com/entries/313334-pre-install-requirements It goes over those steps.

I have done all these things and am still getting the error message that all of you are talking about.

I have hacked my "hosts" file to the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com  thing when its going to look for the server and still get the message.

Any Thoughts?

To everyone complaining, it stated pretty clearly when this first became available that you were paying to 'pre-order' the software. Ie. what you have now is access to a beta, and it is not yet the product you have paid for. Get over it and be patient.

Getting same error. It has been said before in this thread to give a warning on what apple tv 2g firmwares it wont work on. It takes 5 mins to update that info so why isnt it done?

this is what i get from fire core tech support :

While aTV Flash (black) beta 2 is compatible with the 4.1 (iOS 4.2.1) software, there is not currently a jailbreak available for this AppleTV version yet.

Unfortunately if you're not currently jailbroken you will need to wait for the upcoming 4.1 jailbreak from the iPhone Dev Team. They've commented publicly this new jailbreak is not far off, so it should be available soon.

-Fire Core Supposo 

i don't get it how new costumers can  install the beta 2 to be able to use the apple tv 2 gen if the firmware is not compatible for 4.1 

can anybody tell me this i can download the beta 2 for the 4.1 but i can't install it untill the firware 4.2 or whatever will realease for me is like put gas into a car whitout engine..

guys please

That method only works if you originally saved your SHSH for AppleTV 4.0 (iOS 4.1) using Cydia or Tiny Umbrella.

And then you have to either point gs.apple.com to Cydia or use TSS (the server that comes with Tiny Umbrella).

Apple have stopped signing SHSH blobs, so without them stored you cannot jailbreak 4.0 and the instructions on Firecore will not work.

4.1 (iOS 4.2.1) can be jailbroken, but it is a tethered jailbreak (i.e. you have to have a Mac connected by USB to the AppleTV every time you reboot in order to re-activate the jailbreak).  The process is not for beginners - i.e. anyone who does not understand the above info.

Best to wait for DevTeam release of the untethered jailbreak.  When?  Your guess is as good as mine.  Might be Tuesday according to some sources, more likely to be Christmas Eve.