The whole thing worked pretty well with a just a couple of small bumps along the way:
• Initially I had trouble getting into DFU mode, because I was using a different Apple Remote than the one that came with it. You need the real deal, because the Play button is not the same as the OK/Select button, even though they will act pretty much the same. Also, sometimes it seemed like I had to connect the power cord to get it into DFU mode. Occasionally, I ended up in Recovery instead of DFU. For those who don't know, there's a nice tool out there to get yourself out of Recovery mode without going through a whole Restore. It's called "RecBoot" and I found it here:
• Seas0nPass 0.6.5 ran fine until it got to the part where it was selecting the .ipsw, then it would fail saying it couldn't locate it. As others have mentioned, there seems to be a path error in the script. I just did an Option-Restore in iTunes, which worked fine.
• After running the tethered reboot, the ATV hung, because it couldn't connect to WiFi. Canceling out of thatopening screen and re-entering the WiFi credentials solved that issue. I knew from a previous jailbreak that this was an issue, and that installing Nito would solve the WiFi problem, but inexperienced users may be thrown by that.
• After installing all the ATV software and doing a tethered boot, I came up with a black screen. Since I wanted to change the password anyway, I SSH'd in, changed the password, and issued a killall AppleTV . I then came up with the normal screen.
• Everything works pretty well so far. I had run the very first jailbreak (untethered) for awhile with Plex. This version seems to be having a problem playing video plug-ins like Hulu. I can navigate the menus and see episodes,but nothing happens at all when I try to play them. They work fine on the Plex server itself. My own videos work fine though.
• CouchSurfer is pretty cool, but it would be nice to be able to more easily get back to the URL entry bar. As it stands, it seems you have to exit back to the main menu each time you want to enter a new URL. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Of course, what I'm most interested in, is the ability to play other video codecs directly rather than via Plex. I'm hoping we'll see that in the next beta?
Thanks for your efforts, and keep those betas coming! 8)