Apple TV 2G Jailbreak Guide – Windows XP, 7 (ATV2 4.2.1 Custom IPSW link)- No MAC
After searching everywhere, I finally managed to get my ATV2 to JB and tether boot with my Windows 7 Laptop. This isn’t my own guide, but rather complied from guides at XBMC forum and others, with additions to make it easy for those lazy amongst you.
Here’s what you need
Custom IPSW http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PHU1Q93Y
Tetheredboot for Windows https://github.com/msftguy/syringe/downloads
Tether tools http://tinyurl.com/23rkqar
To begin, create a folder in your C:, ie C:tether
In this folder, unzip, and dump the content of tether tools you downloaded, and tetheredboot.
Also, make a copy of the IPSW, and change ending to zip, and then unzip the file. Find the following two files
and again dump them into your C:tether folder
Now you’re ready to JB your ATV2 with minimal effort:
1. Connect the microUSB cable to the PC...
2. Start IREB, and select Apple TV
3. Once it starts to countdown immediately hold Menu + Down for 6-7 seconds until it reboots,
4. Then immediately hold Menu + Play/Pause
If you do it correct IREB should successfully implement the DFU mode + patch-If it is successful it will tell you
5. Then simple go into iTunes, do the left shift + click restore and select "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw"
If you get an error, simply repeat the above process and try again
Once restore completes, you now need to tether booth ATV2, as that’s the only way,..
***Now must get the ATV2 into DFU Mode***
Connect ATV2 to your PC/Laptop, with only the microUSB cable
6. Launch iTunes
7. Disconnect and reconnect Apple TV to computer via microUSB
8. Reboot Apple TV by pressing and holding Menu + Down buttons simultaneously for around 6 seconds
9. After restart, immediately press and hold Menu + Play buttons until a message appears in iTunes
10. Open Command Prompt, and these commands:
tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66
11. Once it’s done, plug in the power cable to the ATV2, and unplug the microUSB cable and plug in the HDMI!!!
Do not unplug the power again, or you will need to tether boot again. This method uses the Pawnage Tool IPSW which doesn’t seem to suffer the many bugs as Seas0nPass, so far no HDMI or Wi Fi issues.
To tether boot, just follow steps 6 - 11.
Use PuTTY to login and install the amazing XBMC, and you’ll realise why the Apple TV2 is worth having.