Tether Boot with Windows ?

Hello together

After i read today that XBMC is now running on Apple TV 2g i go straitgh way to the shop and buy one. With the Macbook of my friend i was able to jailbreak it like described and i was able to install XBMC over SSH with apt-get install etc, everything works fine. Now back at home (I have no Mac) i am not able to boot the device because i can not use Tether Boot :( Is there already a workaround or a way to boot it with a Windows machine if i have already jailbreak it before ?

Any Inputs would be fine.

Thank you for your feedbacks

All the best from switzerland

phantomd

Same here

Is there anyway to manipulate redsn0w for windows to help rebooth ATV2?

Apple TV 2G Jailbreak Guide – Windows XP, 7  (ATV2 4.2.1 Custom IPSW link)- No MAC

After searching everywhere, I finally managed to get my ATV2 to JB and tether boot with my Windows 7 Laptop.  This isn’t my own guide, but rather complied from guides at XBMC forum and others, with additions to make it easy for those lazy amongst you.

Here’s what you need

IREB http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow
Custom IPSW http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PHU1Q93Y
Tetheredboot for Windows https://github.com/msftguy/syringe/downloads
Tether tools http://tinyurl.com/23rkqar

To begin, create a folder in your C:, ie C:tether

In this folder, unzip, and dump the content of tether tools you downloaded, and tetheredboot.

Also, make a copy of the IPSW, and change ending to zip, and then unzip the file. Find the following two files

iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu
kernelcache.release.k66

and again dump them into your C:tether folder

Now you’re ready to JB your ATV2 with minimal effort:

1. Connect the microUSB cable to the PC...
2. Start IREB, and select Apple TV
3. Once it starts to countdown immediately hold Menu + Down for 6-7 seconds until it reboots,
4. Then immediately hold Menu + Play/Pause

If you do it correct IREB should successfully implement the DFU mode + patch-If it is successful it will tell you

5. Then simple go into iTunes, do the left shift + click restore and select "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw"

If you get an error, simply repeat the above process and try again

Once restore completes, you now need to tether booth ATV2, as that’s the only way,..

***Now must get the ATV2 into DFU Mode***

Connect ATV2 to your PC/Laptop, with only the microUSB cable

6. Launch iTunes
7. Disconnect and reconnect Apple TV to computer via microUSB
8. Reboot Apple TV by pressing and holding Menu + Down buttons simultaneously for around 6 seconds
9. After restart, immediately press and hold Menu + Play buttons until a message appears in iTunes
10. Open Command Prompt, and these commands:

cd c:/tethered
then
tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

11. Once it’s done, plug in the power cable to the ATV2, and unplug the microUSB cable and plug in the HDMI!!!

Do not unplug the power again, or you will need to tether boot again.  This method uses the Pawnage Tool IPSW which doesn’t seem to suffer the many bugs as Seas0nPass, so far no HDMI or Wi Fi issues.

To tether boot, just follow steps 6 - 11.

Use PuTTY to login and install the amazing XBMC, and you’ll realise why the Apple TV2 is worth having.

You can use the tetheredboot utility to boot up in Windows. 

You can download the utility here: https://github.com/msftguy/syringe/downloads

Then your going to want to take the CUSTOM firmware you used, and rename it to a .zip instead of .ipsw.  Browse in and copy the iBSS and kernelcache files out of the ipsw/zip.

iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu

kernelcache.release.k66

Make sure you place the utilitly, and two files into a single folder (on desktop or wherever)...

go to CMD (command prompt), and browse to the folder you placed evetyhing in (mine was "C:UsersNameDesktopTetheredboot") , and once your there run this command:

tetheredboot iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66 

in my case it looked like: C:/Users/Name/Desktop/Tetheredboot>./tetheredboot iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66

That should get you up and running.  worked for me.  jailbroke in OSXVM, booted in Win.

Good Luck

With the aid of a long USB cable and using team viewer on my iPad to control my pc I now have a jail broken atv2 using windows.
Many thanks for the info

waiting for the no-teather boot.  windows version. some day.

When running IREB, after hitting the Apple TV button, the application indicates you should hold MENU+PLAY/PAUSE, while the above steps (3 & 4) clearly states:

3. Once it starts to countdown immediately hold Menu + Down for 6-7 seconds until it reboots, 

4. Then immediately hold Menu + Play/Pause

Which is correct?

When I issue the command 'tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66' in my dos windows under the c:tether directory I recieve the following error:

Cannot open iBSS file 'iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu'

I have unzipped that file into the c:tether directory.  Any idea's on the cause of this?

When I issue the command 'tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66' in my dos windows under the c:tether directory I recieve the following error:

Cannot open iBSS file 'iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu'

I have unzipped that file into the c:tether directory.  Any idea's on the cause of this?

You say you unzip the file you the have to search that file and place them in the folder you created in c:

Thanks for the instructions. I was able to restore using the custom_ipsw. 

After successful restore, the ATV2 was brought up using the tethered boot command; but it does not pick up my WIFI or networking. All I can see is the Apple menu on the screen. 

I went to General -> Settings and configured the WIFI manually, but still no luck.  "There was a problem connecting to the network".

any ideas?. Thanks for your help .

Can ssh into your atv2 and send the killall AppleTV command if not I would unplug and do another tether conection

Thanks David. I get past the WIFI connection issue. However, my Apple TV does not boot up after installing the ATV Flash usin ATVFlash Installer for windows. I get the message "Installation Successful" after which the Apple Tv tries to reboot but never come up.

Any suggestions on installing ATV Flash through windows after tethered boot?

Have you just the apple logo if so it has fully rebooted and you need to tether again then you should see the maintenance menu

I see the apple logo after reboot. I tethered again but the flash light does not blink and stays steady.  Nothing comes up on my HDTV. I am beginning to think if the extra packages installed by the ATV Flash is not understood by the Apple iOS 4.2.1

Are you getting into dfu mode to get it tethered. As the first time when you jail broke if you are just seeing on th Hdmi a apple logo then it is not tethered

After jail break, I put the Apple TV 2 into DFU mode and boot it using tethered boot. I plugged in the power and was able to access the default apps like NetFlix and youTube. 

Now, I used the Atv flash(beta) for windows to install the apps. After the installation, the Apple TV wont boot up. Hence, I tried tethered boot (with ATV flash installed) but no success.

I do understand that tethered boot is the only way to boot up my ATV2 once it is jail broken. My question is why the tethered boot does not work after ATV flash is installed whereas the same works fine before ATV flash is not installed.?

Not sure what has gone wrong with your install? If i explain what my experience was it may help.

First Jailbroke with windows xp and removed usb so i could position the atv in another room.

On My first atempts at tethering via a long usb lead I followed the instruction as below

6. Launch iTunes
8. Reboot Apple TV by pressing and holding Menu + Down buttons simultaneously for around 6 seconds
9. After restart, immediately press and hold Menu + Play buttons until a message appears in iTunes

then

It would do the -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu but fail the -k kernelcache.release.k66 there have been lots of post about slow flashing and fast flashing light on the front of the atv and using the above method for me i only had a steady flashing light.

So I tried another way to tether. First I removed all leads then pluged in the power and waited until it was a steady light. Then I removed the power

6. Launch iTunes

Conect the power lead.

Now the light flashed rapid and quicker than before

then

now Both parts installed and Removed the usb and conected the hdmi

The Atv now booted up as if new, asking to set languge wifi etc. I then instaled ATVflash but could not see the matainence menu. So i removed the power lead and tethered again.

This time the atv booted up and did NOT want languge wifi etc and the maintenace menu was at the left

Since then I have not had to tether again and use the ssh command Killall AppleTV if things go wrong using puTTy or ssh on my ipad

Hope you get it sorted maybe you need to jailbreak again.

Best regards

Dave

much love .. finally got a jailbreak with these instructions after about a week of frustration ... 

I got no wifi on the 1st tether boot, how do I get wifi? I guess I'll try just a re-tether and see if that solves it.