Currently I am using my MacBook Pro as NFS server. Being the laptop I also use for work it isn’t the most convenient solution. Not to mention that via WiFi the 4K streaming via NFS is to the limit, it takes time to skip back and forth, it may buffer (and sometime it does). I have the Ethernet adaptor, but then the NFS daemon may need to be restarted after wiring the MBP.
So I’d like to buy a NAS. I did a bit of research, but judging from the Amazon reviews they all have an issue or another. What I am looking for must have the following characteristics:
- 1Gbps Ethernet (obviously)
- It must happily interface with Infuse and the Apple TV 4K in general using any protocol
- Same for macOS (I may want to use a disk/partition as Time Machine)
- It must support 2.5" and 3.5" SATA 2 & 3 HDDs
- It should have at least one USB 3.0 port if possible.
- Something above 4TB max
- The fan must be as much SILENT as possible, at least when just using it to share files (little CPU usage).
Actually this seems to have all I am looking for: https://www.amazon.it/ZYXEL-NAS326-EU0101F-Zyxel-NAS326-HardDisk/dp/B01A98WGRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1518247485&sr=1-1&keywords=Zyxel+NAS326
Does anyone suggest it? Any other idea?
PS: Sorry for asking it in here, but I would really need it mostly for Infuse. So if there is any issue with Infuse (losing connections and all) it wouldn’t do.
PPS: Never mind. After reading some technical reviews I did some impulsive shopping and I went for the ZyXEL with 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.